FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waited in line to talk to "gate agent", turns out was just there to help a Non-Rev!!!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:04 pm
laxmillenial

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by dcbarry
So, waiting on a 3 hour delay right now at LAX. Waiting for line to talk to gate agent , four others in line behind me come and go.

From 9:50am to 10:35 agent is working a single Pax, who based on the conversation and banter is clealy a nonEmployee nonRev, trying to pull schenanigans. They are discussing pass riding back then, how hard it is to ride now, how the nonRev site is messed up, etc.

At 10:35 he walks her across hall to opposite gate and hangs there 15 minutes while rest of us stare agog. When he finally waLks back, he doesn't acknowledge line so I finally walk up, to be told:

"Oh, I'm not working this gate".

"Thanks schmuck!" --- I say (in my head only).

Sigh
Based on your post, I would think it's safe to say that you're assuming they're trying to pull shenanigans unless there's something you left out. Can't people just have a friendly conversation?

Honestly I can understand why you're upset. However, sometimes the GA's go to do other administrative tasks (I'm not a UA employee, I don't know the details other than that) and that they honestly don't work that flight. Sometimes they're just looking for an open computer. It's not as easy as you think it is, employees can't just work ANY flight, there are dedicated flights/gates that they're responsible for.

As easy as you think it would be for any UA employee to help you out because they're a UA employee, there are such things as work assignments.

That being said, why weren't you on the phone at the same time? Calling UA from the phone would be my advice.