FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury -- is it space, style, decor?
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:18 pm
BENLEE

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Like many other aspects of hotels, it's important, but not sufficient. It's something one doesn't necessarily notice or give much thought to if the coffee is okay, but it leaves an impression if coffee is really good or really bad. And it's perfection in all small details that adds up to "luxury."

Hotels are very aware that coffee is important, particularly to business travelers. Four Seasons Marunouchi - an exceptional 57 room boutique hotel - apparently has a ¥6,000,000 coffee machine according to what F&B management has told me. They need to be able to produce all of those perfect pots of coffee for room service and breakfast, many at the same time, without fail. Giving a coffee lover/addict delicious coffee promptly on demand scores major points. Conversely, making subpar coffee and being slow to deliver it is a huge negative😉.

Four Seasons does very well with coffee. I love how if having breakfast in restaurant, they will notice if someone drinks a lot of coffee and requires more than one cup. Then they'll often place a small insulated coffee pot on the table, not to replace service, but just to ensure you're never without coffee even for a moment^

As a regular, FS M also never forgets my after dinner macchiato without my having to ask. And it's delicious. I don't know what kind of coffee beans they use, but they've got it right.
Wow... ¥6,000,000 coffee machine. Is it illy? Nepresso doesn't cost this much. That's incentive for me to try.

Like many others here, when I wake up, the first thing I look for is my coffee. Everything else is secondary. I become ultra-grumpy without my caffeine fix.