Search

Luxury -- is it space, style, decor?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:40 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We bring our own travel kit for tea. Tea quality is dire in almost every hotel room, luxury hotel or not.
May I recommend the Umaid Bhawan Palace. Best tea service I've ever experienced.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'm in no fit state to talk to my husband pre-coffee!
Without coffee, I don't even trust myself to get dressed enough to open the door for a room service or butler coffee delivery. I really need to be able to make it myself in the room, at any hour.

I recently stayed at an airport hotel (AMS Sheraton, so obviously not luxury) that had coffee 24/7 by the elevator but nothing in the room. I was annoyed.

Also, the Copacabanana Palace in Rio provided a very nice coffee machine with my small suite, but fortunately I noticed that they charged about US$4 for every coffee pod (for one cup) you used.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We bring our own travel kit for tea. Tea quality is dire in almost every hotel room, luxury hotel or not.
My wife brings her own Kusmi loose leaf tea everywhere.^
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:00 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Without coffee, I don't even trust myself to get dressed enough to open the door for a room service or butler coffee delivery. I really need to be able to make it myself in the room, at any hour.
I actually prefer the StR butler French press coffee service. (Of course, I couldn't care less about my appearance; I have no shame.)

That being said, it's nice to make your own coffee when you feel you need it. But I wouldn't count that against a hotel like so many others.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 19, 2017 at 11:48 pm
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:16 pm

I rarely touch in suite coffee machines, such as Nespresso or Lavazza "cartridge" type machines. I am a huge coffee drink drinker, but I rely on room services dor that. Either with breakfast or for coffee only ten minutes after morning call.

Incidentally, those capsules/cartridges are terrible for the environment. Very difficult to recycle and therefore just end up in landfill.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jul 19, 2017 at 9:41 pm
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:37 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Thanks to this forum, I have now figured out the true meaning of luxury. It's coffee.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Thanks to this forum, I have now figured out the true meaning of luxury. It's coffee.

Like many other aspects of hotels, it's important, but not sufficient. It's something one doesn't necessarily notice or give much thought to if the coffee is okay, but it leaves an impression if coffee is really good or really bad. And it's perfection in all small details that adds up to "luxury."

Hotels are very aware that coffee is important, particularly to business travelers. Four Seasons Marunouchi - an exceptional 57 room boutique hotel - apparently has a Ą6,000,000 coffee machine according to what F&B management has told me. They need to be able to produce all of those perfect pots of coffee for room service and breakfast, many at the same time, without fail. Giving a coffee lover/addict delicious coffee promptly on demand scores major points. Conversely, making subpar coffee and being slow to deliver it is a huge negative😉.

Four Seasons does very well with coffee. I love how if having breakfast in restaurant, they will notice if someone drinks a lot of coffee and requires more than one cup. Then they'll often place a small insulated coffee pot on the table, not to replace service, but just to ensure you're never without coffee even for a moment^

As a regular, FS M also never forgets my after dinner macchiato without my having to ask. And it's delicious. I don't know what kind of coffee beans they use, but they've got it right.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Like many other aspects of hotels, it's important, but not sufficient. It's something one doesn't necessarily notice or give much thought to if the coffee is okay, but it leaves an impression if coffee is really good or really bad. And it's perfection in all small details that adds up to "luxury."

Hotels are very aware that coffee is important, particularly to business travelers. Four Seasons Marunouchi - an exceptional 57 room boutique hotel - apparently has a Ą6,000,000 coffee machine according to what F&B management has told me. They need to be able to produce all of those perfect pots of coffee for room service and breakfast, many at the same time, without fail. Giving a coffee lover/addict delicious coffee promptly on demand scores major points. Conversely, making subpar coffee and being slow to deliver it is a huge negative😉.

Four Seasons does very well with coffee. I love how if having breakfast in restaurant, they will notice if someone drinks a lot of coffee and requires more than one cup. Then they'll often place a small insulated coffee pot on the table, not to replace service, but just to ensure you're never without coffee even for a moment^

As a regular, FS M also never forgets my after dinner macchiato without my having to ask. And it's delicious. I don't know what kind of coffee beans they use, but they've got it right.
Wow... Ą6,000,000 coffee machine. Is it illy? Nepresso doesn't cost this much. That's incentive for me to try.

Like many others here, when I wake up, the first thing I look for is my coffee. Everything else is secondary. I become ultra-grumpy without my caffeine fix.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Wow... Ą6,000,000 coffee machine. Is it illy? Nepresso doesn't cost this much. That's incentive for me to try.

Like many others here, when I wake up, the first thing I look for is my coffee. Everything else is secondary. I become ultra-grumpy without my caffeine fix.
The Ą6,000,000 machine is the main kitchen's machine. Presumably a highly automatic, large capacity Italian made machine. I do not know what beans they use, but it is very good indeed.

If you stay, and you should, you can have your morning coffee delivered immediately after morning call. It will come precisely at the requested time, on the dot. This is Japan after all. Then, your breakfast can either come a bit later -and with more coffee - by room service, or you can go up to the restaurant.

Ritz-Carlton club level also does this well, coffee delivered at morning call with newspaper.

Btw, I am a fan of Illy, it's the brand I use at home. Consistently delicious. Julius Meinl is possibly even better though, as Vienna knows coffee very well too. I just haven't found a place to buy it locally.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jul 19, 2017 at 10:35 pm
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
The Ą6,000,000 machine is the main kitchen's machine. Presumably a highly automatic, large capacity Italian made machine. I do not know what beans they use, but it is very good indeed.

If you stay, and you should, you can have your morning coffee delivered immediately after morning call. It will come precisely at the requested time, on the dot. This is Japan after all. Then, your breakfast can either come a bit later -and with more coffee - by room service, or you can go up to the restaurant.

Ritz-Carlton club level also does this well, coffee delivered at morning call with newspaper.

Btw, I am a fan of Illy, it's the brand I use at home. Consistently delicious. Julius Meinl is possibly even better though, as Vienna knows coffee very well too. I just haven't found a place to buy it locally.
Is the morning coffee with morning call complimentary or payable at room service rate? I stayed at the FS Marunouchi many many years ago. I think it's back in 2008. Have they renovated since?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:54 pm

Is the morning coffee with morning call complimentary or payable at room service rate? I stayed at the FS Marunouchi many many years ago. I think it's back in 2008. Have they renovated since?
Only light renovations, new restaurant and public areas. If I have breakfast, i usually go upstairs. I think if you had room service breakfast, they might include the separate coffee delivery upon request.

It is not a published benefit, but I will say it is a very flexible hotel for Japan. And if they do charge for the coffee delivery it's not much.

At R-C club level it is a standard club benefit, so definitely no charge.

Long ago, Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt used to provide complimentary coffee at morning call to all GP members upon request. At PHT, it came in a beautiful silver pot with a fresh rose on the tray. Those where the good old days with Hyatt...
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't like FS these days but I'll agree that they do great coffee. Don't think I've ever had a bad cup there. Some amazing ones from the Exec Lounge in HK to room service in Tokyo.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I don't like FS these days but I'll agree that they do great coffee. Don't think I've ever had a bad cup there. Some amazing ones from the Exec Lounge in HK to room service in Tokyo.
I think most luxury 5-star hotels have good coffee. Generally speaking. In-room coffee is more for the convenience ( a must in my case ). Occasionally, they can be too "low-power" and for that, I will ask for double-shot.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:27 am

I think most luxury 5-star hotels have good coffee. Generally speaking. In-room coffee is more for the convenience ( a must in my case ). Occasionally, they can be too "low-power" and for that, I will ask for double-shot.
Most have acceptable coffee, but sometimes I feel certain hotels could do better, while others stand out as excellent.

Re FS Marunouchi, complimentary morning coffee via room service in addition to your choice of in-room or restaurant breakfast is something a FSPP could probably negotiate for you.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some luxury hotels in Korea have fancy machines but it tastes like swill. Don't know why. They ALL have capsule machines though so caffeine addicts are in luck here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.