FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Club World overnight flights - how soon after takeoff can you convert to bed?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:55 am
Jimmie76
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by HilFly
I am hearing what people do in practice, but is there an actual rule as to when it's OK to recline after take off? I had always assumed that the cabin should be kept in take off mode until the seat belt sign is switched off.
According to the ever helpful CIHY (and I can't find the post at the moment) once the wheels have left the ground the plane has "taken off".

It was this thread when does take-off finish?

Originally Posted by Can I help you
No reason why the foot rest cannot be put down after we have left the ground as long as this can be done with the seatbelt fastened.
Reclining is also OK.
Obviously I cannot speak on behalf of British Airways all that I am doing is giving you my opinion based on many years experience.
Once the aircraft has left the ground if we came down immediately it would be a crash landing and what would happen then we can only but guess.
As in the statement about when PEDs can be used as crew we can only ensure that the seat position complies with the BA rules for takeoff, we would not be in the position from our crew seats to know if seats are being moved or PEDs are being switched on.
There are no rules that I am aware of that states when seats can be moved and I know from common practice that on late night departures many customers recline their seats while still seated with their seatbelts on, if BA tells us that this is not acceptable then we will enforce the rule but at present there is nothing to say it isn’t acceptable.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jul 18, 2017 at 11:13 am