FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St. Regis Osaka or Ritz-Carlton Kyoto
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:07 pm
Beltway2A

Programs: Free Agent
Thanks for your input Aventine, BSBD and HKTraveler. From what you've said, it seems like I'll stick with the St. Regis Osaka. Perhaps I'll make a visit to the Kyoto property when I have more to do in Kyoto.

We stay at many StR properties, as you can see from my numerous expert reviews herein.

We love butler service, but not everyone gets it. Since you mentioned often staying at Courtyards, I thought I'd offer this basic advice:

(1) Butler service involves a team of butlers. Once you understand that and don't expect a single butler for your stay, it's a better expectation.

(2) I always ask the butlers to unpack and pack for me. I love it, even when I only have a carry on. My husband usually doesn't, as he prefers to pack and unpack on his own...unless he has a lot of luggage!

(3) Don't be afraid to get to know the butlers! We often kid around with them, sometimes click enough to ask them about their families, their job paths, the social scene in the area, highlights of the area, popular items in hotel restaurants or from room service, etc.

(4) Be sure to enjoy daily coffee/tea service (complimentary). It's wonderful. Just call and ask!
(5) Anything else you may like, other than concierge stuff, don't be afraid to ask your butlers. If we've gotten to know any, we might ask for recs for more local restaurants that aren't as often recommended by the concierge, recs for local beaches or stores they recommend that other guests have enjoyed.

Otherwise, having butler service isn't all that different--just a bit more personalized IME, sometimes a lot more personalized. It's like a First Class cabin crew: sometimes they are awesome and you really click and get to know them, and other times they are very good but you don't really click beyond that.

I will tell you that my experience and research suggests that the StR Osaka isn't as amazing among most StR properties worldwide in the same way that the RC Kyoto is supposed to be amazing and among the best RC properties. And I say that as one who loves StR more than RC.
I appreciate all the help, bhrubin, you've really helped me understand what to expect. I'll do some further reading with your St. Regis reviews. The unpacking and complimentary coffee service sounds wonderful, I'm definitely going to enjoy that.