FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:49 am
gfunkdave
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd fall more firmly on the "screw you" side of things. Carry whatever ID you're comfortable with. TSA has no ability to arrest you (they need to call a cop for that) and all they can do is hassle you when you go through security or after. If some TSA person gets an inflated ego and hassles you because of perceived race, demand to speak with a supervisor.

And when strangers make snide comments about walls and deportations, you can tell them that you and your ancestors were in the US long before they and theirs, and walk away.

But if you find yourself in situations where an actual law enforcement officer is demanding to see proof of citizenship (and I"m pretty sure they are generally not allowed to, except in some states that have succumbed to populist urges) then a passport card is probably the easiest thing to carry with you. I carry mine just as a second form of ID, though I never use it.