FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:00 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by McNandez
Hello - I'm wondering if I should carry my passport or global entry card with me while traveling domestically in the U.S. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

My situation: I'm an American citizen of native American and Mexican descent, i.e., I am brown. Normally I wouldn't think twice about ID necessary for domestic travel, but as this is the first flight I'll be taking in light of non-ban travel bans and the fact that I've been confronted by complete strangers about deportations/walls, etc. over the past few months, I'm worried about being stopped by TSA on my return flight.

Another concern is that if I do take my passport/GE card with me, I'll be questioned about why I'm even carrying them in the first place if I'm only going from LIH -> SEA.

I suspect I'm just being a bit paranoid, but I'd like to get a few other takes on this to see if I've actually got something worry about.
I almost always have a passport on me when traveling -- whether a 30-minute domestic flight or an international flight or when driving outside of the US. I've never had anyone in the government make a stink about showing my passport instead of some other ID if the purpose was to just confirm identity. I use my GE card as ID -- including with regard to the TSA -- and no longer have problems because of that.

If taking your passport and GE card makes you feel more comfortable, do so. I carry my passport just about every time I take a plane. I'd take my passport on your trip. Multiple reasons why, including that when IRROPS are involved, sometimes being rerouted via Canada can make sense .... if only the passport (or NEXUS ID) was available.