FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines apologizes after giving away toddler's seat
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:34 am
raehl311

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
I would assume the situation went something like GA offloads the toddler and hands a BP to the standby pax, assuming there is an empty seat on the plane. Standby pax boards, and confusion ensures. FA runs up (and is in a hurry) and mistakenly assumes that the mother booked a lap infant and misunderstood whether that entitled them to an extra seat.

It's not the most plausible story, but I could see it happening if the mother didn't communicate loudly and/or clearly that her son had a BP with a seat assignment and was entitled to the seat. Lapses in communication like that are far from unheard of. With this level of confusion, I doubt the FA checks the manifest carefully.
Seems pretty plausible to me. Plenty of people in the world absolutely terrified of making a scene (and even more likely terrified of doing so on a United airplane) and mom wasn't assertive enough about having a separate boarding pass for her kid to overcome the miscommunication with the FA.

That said, it also sounds like the FA may have bullied the passenger a bit by saying that PAX would lose their ticket if they didn't stay on that flight. And also the FA's fault for not recognizing a situation that didn't make sense.

Overall United is pretty much entirely at fault for this one.