Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines apologizes after giving away toddler's seat

Old Jul 4, 17, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsnow/db/330510/content/lGge5Z6X

Apparently the only the mom's ticket scanned at the gate. Passenger who took the toddler's seat paid $75.
Old Jul 4, 17, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, B6 Mosaic
If this really happened as stated, this is should be a large fine against United for violating FAA safety regulations. Forcing someone over 2 years old to fly without a seat is, I imagine, against regs.

Edit: well, this looks confirmed. United is admitting it was at fault for incorrectly scanning the child's ticket. Someone should lose their job for safety violation on this one. United is only refunding the child's $1000 ticket. Seems like far too little far too late. After all, the child did not get a seat, so of COURSE they must refund his ticket. United, once again, shows its cheapness and incompetency.

Being picked up by other news orgs now....

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...ndby-passenger
altabello likes this.

Last edited by blueman2; Jul 4, 17 at 10:42 pm
Old Jul 4, 17, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
I would have asked the FA to get the gate agent and produced the kids boarding pass and told the other passenger to get stuffed (in nice terms)
Old Jul 4, 17, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by LordTentacle View Post
I would have asked the FA to get the gate agent and produced the kids boarding pass and told the other passenger to get stuffed (in nice terms)
Did you read the article? The mother, who is Asian, was aware of recent incidents and afraid UA staff would retaliate against her.

UA needs to get rid of the bad apple employees.
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 4, 17, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, B6 Mosaic
Sure. And we all know how well that worked for the last Asian passenger who was legally seating with a valid ticket, and was asked to give up their seat to a standby passenger.
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 4, 17, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Did you read the article? The mother, who is Asian, was aware of recent incidents and afraid UA staff would retaliate against her.

UA needs to get rid of the bad apple employees.
I read it... and I dont see why any gate agent in the current climate would do anything other than remove the standby passenger they cleared by accident

100lb dripping wet 5'0" female Asian Co-worker sitting next to me right now "I hope they would toss me off the plane if that was me and I spoke up about it because that would be a sweet settlement"

The FA failing to compare boarding passes and getting a gate agent is massive failure
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 4, 17, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I read it... and I dont see why any gate agent in the current climate would do anything other than remove the standby passenger they cleared by accident
You'd think they'd stop booting ticketed passengers from their seats, too. But obviously you'd be wrong.
Old Jul 4, 17, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by blueman2 View Post
Edit: well, this looks confirmed. United is admitting it was at fault for incorrectly scanning the child's ticket. Someone should lose their job for safety violation on this one. United is only refunding the child's $1000 ticket. Seems like far too little far too late. After all, the child did not get a seat, so of COURSE they must refund his ticket. United, once again, shows its cheapness and incompetency.

Being picked up by other news orgs now....

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...ndby-passenger
The article you linked to has this blurb.

The company said, "We deeply apologize to Ms. Yamauchi and her son for this experience. We are refunding her son's ticket and providing a travel voucher.
So not actually just a refund, but I think cash compensation would be more appropriate, since the pax might not be interested in flying UA again in the near future.

I hope the pax files a DOT complaint.
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 4, 17, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
... "I hope they would toss me off the plane if that was me and I spoke up about it because that would be a sweet settlement"

The FA failing to compare boarding passes and getting a gate agent is massive failure
An in-a-rush g/a & a shrugging f/a made a Boo BOO, but they refunded the thousand bucks, and threw in a voucher, so everything is ALL GOOD now!

WRONG --- There is definitely going to be a pain & suffering law suit, "comin'
round the bend", and let's see if the UA brass cover for these employees again, like last time.

Keep getting hit in the pocket book, have continual crappy press, and someone at the top is going to have enough of this nonsense and may just crack a whip!
Old Jul 4, 17, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wow they had a 27 month old fly sitting on the floor in front of his mom? That's pretty impressive, kind of reminds me of an old family story of flying on overbooked eastern European carrier and being told to stand in the aisle for the duration of the flight.

More recently it kind of recalls the time AA accidentally flew a non-ETOPS A321 with passengers LAX-HNL. (Wonder if they ended up paying a fine for that -- should be a public record, no?)
Old Jul 5, 17, 12:28 am

Pathetic! UA screws up, yet again ... doesn't seem to ever stop
Old Jul 5, 17, 12:33 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Stories like this make me believe that UA should have been allowed to liquidate back in 2001, so that other airlines would take over. Even if we are talking about a small minority of bad CS agents, they are so entrenched in UA's toxic culture that no amount of FAA/DOT fines will change them.
Old Jul 5, 17, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
You'd think they'd stop booting ticketed passengers from their seats, too. But obviously you'd be wrong.
So your proposing that regardless of if a passenger has a BP scanned or not that they should not ever release the seat to a standby passenger?

Planes should go out with empty seats instead off assisting passengers on standby?

Both Humans and machines make mistakes, the issue here is purely one of service recovery (either onboard of off the flight) and both have been handeled badly (also the safety violation on the kid not in their own seat is pretty nasty)

The mom did the right thing by raising the issue with the FA, FA failed to resolve the issue of 2 passengers with same seat assignment
Mom could have escalated to a different FA or picked up kid and walked to the boarding door and asked for further help.

[sarcasm on] apperently because she is not a middle aged white male this means in her mind she will be rendered unconcious by thugs hired by UA? [sarcasm off]
Your risk of being assulted by UA staff is still lower per flight than your risk of being killed by terrorists...

After the flight... sounds like the standard CS team dealing with an issue that should be handeled by much more senior team. (you think they would have learned by now... )

To be clear to all... UA needs to clear out any bad apples remaining in their house and activly continue to do so
Old Jul 5, 17, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
What did it mean that the standby passenger sat in the center?

Anyways, UA should refund both tickets. The toddler because he didn't get his seat. The mom paid for a service she didn't get - she didn't pay to have to hold a 27 month old for the flight. Oh, and throw in the $75 standby to them as well.
Old Jul 5, 17, 1:20 am

Steerage Class is alive and well on UA

So many mistakes here, where to start.

- Gate agent willfully failed to notice only one of the two tickets scanned. Supervisor failed to ensure employee is competent which means supervisor is incompetent.

- On plane flight attendant saw the two tickets, didn't have a clue what to do, how to check. Again supervisor failed to ensure employee is competent which again means supervisor is incompetent.

- Two incompetent employees at once, two incompetent supervisors. Standard for UA.

- UA takes five days to realize their two employees and supervisors are incompetent, just another day plus incompetent UA senior supervisors who didn't have a clue what a timely apology is. Too busy coasting to retirement, sitting on their fat okole.

- UA gets cheap on the compensation for so many incompetent people ruining this women's flight. Should have fully refunded all her expenses for the flight for so many willful failures.

- UA gives her a voucher? Seriously? Really? Cheap baboozes.

- UA's CEO is the "Weak Link" directly responsible for everything their employees willfully fail to do. Man does not deserve a dime of bonus this year. Clawback would work for me.
altabello likes this.

Search this Thread