FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Variation in AQD earned for same flight/booking class?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:14 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TechTrainer
Total Price:
May Flight 3,073.26 CAD
June Flight 2,318.80 CAD
Do those figures include taxes/3rd party surcharges? For AQD, the relevant figure is the total of what AC calls "Air Transportation Charges", which is base fare plus carrier surcharges.

Here's how it would break down, assuming the prices you listed above are air transportation charges rather than total price (my apologies for not being clearer earlier).

The reason why the AQD is so much higher on the first itinerary is (1) the ticket price was higher and (2) the first itinerary has a shorter total distance, so the YVR-HKG flight is proportionately more of the total ticket price.

The actual amount of AQD may differ here since I'm not sure if I used the right ticket price per above (and ignore the Aeroplan mileage, unless you're SE and chose the bonus Aeroplan miles).

By the way, if you wouldn't mind sharing the mileage you earned on TPE-PVG, that would be appreciated so I can add it to my calculator
Attached Images