FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:17 am
moops380

Recently I flew XXX-ORD-AMS-WAW with the first two legs on UA and the last on LO with a planned connection of 60 minutes in AMS. Flight leaves a bit late from ORD and we end up in AMS 30 minutes after schedule, I checked the status of my LO flight and it was also delayed 30 minutes, so I figured no big deal 60 minutes is plenty as I have easily gone through AMS immigration and to the next gate in 10-15 minutes.

For some reason UA had rebooked me on a KLM flight 4 hours and 10 minutes later, big sign for my connection at the end of the jetway and a representative there with rebooked flights. I said, well I have an hour to make my original flight so I'll just take that(as planned, as ticketed, as scheduled), the agent said, ok go try and see if that works (in my head I'm like why would it not, I already have the ticket IN MY HAND).

So I get to the LO gate before the plane had even unloaded yet. I asked the GA if the flight was fully booked, she said no, plenty of empty seats, then I asked her to reprint my BP (to make sure I was good to go). She said my ticket was cancelled by UA and couldn't reprint. I said, why would they do that without asking me or telling me they had done so? She immediately called up UA and asked them. UA said "well we thought you would miss your connection", which usually would mean they would "protect" me on a later flight, in this case they just straight up cancelled my ticket, then put me on another flight 4 hours and 10 minutes later. The LO agents were friendly/nice and helpful, though I then had to go back to non-Schengen zone to discuss further with UA ... had happened. UA basically said sorry here is a meal voucher for 15 euro. Gee thanks! I am a Star Gold member (avianca br) and also used krisflyer miles to book this ticket. My original 3 legs are on 618 stock but the KLM ticket on 016 (united). I used chase csr for taxes/fees.

In addition to the 15 euro voucher which I would value around 5 euros, I rec'd 947 delta points, which I would value around 9 euros.

Not sure if this falls under DOT or EU 261 and would love any guidance. Essentially, united delayed me 4:10 even though none of the flights I had scheduled/paid for would have delayed me if united hadn't gone "above and beyond" to cancel my flight.