FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mysterious Seat Swap?
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:47 pm
danielonn

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Hi all,

I am a bit annoyed at the moment and am hoping for some insight or clarification from you all. I booked a flight LHR-JFK a few months ago in Upper Class and selected my preferred seat, 4A on the 789 (middle of the cabin so not too close to either bar or galley, and facing the wall so max privacy). I even checked the seat again a few days ago (as I periodically check on all my reservations just in case there are issues or funny business).

Today I checked in for my flight tomorrow and I see I was for some reason moved to 8K?? Not only is this seat annoyingly close to the bar, it is on the other side of the cabin where I'll be facing other passengers. So due to that and the proximity to the bar the privacy/seclusion of the seat is a pittance compared to my previous selection. I just called VS and was told they can only see what I see and this needs to be handled at the airport. I am doubtful anything will change because my previous seat is showing as taken so my guess is someone else now has it.
An airline is allowed to swap seats for various reasons just like a hotel can reassign you a room within the same category of rooms. While the OP may not like it you could politely ask the Gate Agent to see about switching you back. Could there have been an aircraft swap from one 787 to an Airbus 340 or Boeing 747 then back to the 787 and the computer just randomly reassigned you? There could have been a mechanical issue with the seat.

When I see a seat swap I will call up the airline to see if they can switch me back to the same seat or a similar seat. You are renting a seat and there is no guarantee if you will get the seat you pre reserved. Nothing is guaranteed in the travel industry. A rental car does not guarantee you the exact model.

A seat reservation may or may not be for the one you wanted. I am sorry you feel this way OP but you need to be flexible. I know you worked hard to get your preferred seat but this does not always mean you will get it.

Just be happy you are still in Upper Class and were not downgraded to Premium Economy or Economy Class.

Last edited by danielonn; Jun 19, 2017 at 12:52 pm