Mysterious Seat Swap?

Old Jun 19, 17, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Mysterious Seat Swap?

Hi all,

I am a bit annoyed at the moment and am hoping for some insight or clarification from you all. I booked a flight LHR-JFK a few months ago in Upper Class and selected my preferred seat, 4A on the 789 (middle of the cabin so not too close to either bar or galley, and facing the wall so max privacy). I even checked the seat again a few days ago (as I periodically check on all my reservations just in case there are issues or funny business).

Today I checked in for my flight tomorrow and I see I was for some reason moved to 8K?? Not only is this seat annoyingly close to the bar, it is on the other side of the cabin where I'll be facing other passengers. So due to that and the proximity to the bar the privacy/seclusion of the seat is a pittance compared to my previous selection. I just called VS and was told they can only see what I see and this needs to be handled at the airport. I am doubtful anything will change because my previous seat is showing as taken so my guess is someone else now has it.
Old Jun 19, 17, 11:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Similar thing happened to us Although it was in Economy.
Booked our preferred seats a week in advance as Silver.
Went to do online check in day before our flight and saw our seats had been moved to the back row directly next to the toilets !!!
This had never happened before and I was not happy to say the least.

Last edited by PaulH1; Jun 19, 17 at 4:19 pm
Old Jun 19, 17, 12:43 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
A complete guess, without any evidence at all, would be that someone with some serious status with VS (or an employee), also likes 4A; and some strings have been pulled.

Nick
Old Jun 19, 17, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict View Post
Hi all,

I am a bit annoyed at the moment and am hoping for some insight or clarification from you all. I booked a flight LHR-JFK a few months ago in Upper Class and selected my preferred seat, 4A on the 789 (middle of the cabin so not too close to either bar or galley, and facing the wall so max privacy). I even checked the seat again a few days ago (as I periodically check on all my reservations just in case there are issues or funny business).

Today I checked in for my flight tomorrow and I see I was for some reason moved to 8K?? Not only is this seat annoyingly close to the bar, it is on the other side of the cabin where I'll be facing other passengers. So due to that and the proximity to the bar the privacy/seclusion of the seat is a pittance compared to my previous selection. I just called VS and was told they can only see what I see and this needs to be handled at the airport. I am doubtful anything will change because my previous seat is showing as taken so my guess is someone else now has it.
An airline is allowed to swap seats for various reasons just like a hotel can reassign you a room within the same category of rooms. While the OP may not like it you could politely ask the Gate Agent to see about switching you back. Could there have been an aircraft swap from one 787 to an Airbus 340 or Boeing 747 then back to the 787 and the computer just randomly reassigned you? There could have been a mechanical issue with the seat.

When I see a seat swap I will call up the airline to see if they can switch me back to the same seat or a similar seat. You are renting a seat and there is no guarantee if you will get the seat you pre reserved. Nothing is guaranteed in the travel industry. A rental car does not guarantee you the exact model.

A seat reservation may or may not be for the one you wanted. I am sorry you feel this way OP but you need to be flexible. I know you worked hard to get your preferred seat but this does not always mean you will get it.

Just be happy you are still in Upper Class and were not downgraded to Premium Economy or Economy Class.

Last edited by danielonn; Jun 19, 17 at 1:52 pm
Old Jun 19, 17, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick View Post
A complete guess, without any evidence at all, would be that someone with some serious status with VS (or an employee), also likes 4A; and some strings have been pulled.

Nick

So does this mean a $600 voucher for the OP Me say no. Bob's your Uncle.
Old Jun 19, 17, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Thank you for all the responses, everyone. The aircraft is still showing as a 787-9 but of course there's always the possibility it switched to a 330 or 340 and then back to a 789 and that messed up the seats. Someone here also mentioned there could be a fault with that seat. If that were the issue, it would be nice to be contacted about that and to be notified of the reason for the move. I suppose that's possible too, I hadn't thought of that. My plan is to show up early to the airport and see what they can do.

In the grand scheme of things, I am still in Upper Class so I can't complain too much.
Old Jun 19, 17, 2:35 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
So does this mean a $600 voucher for the OP Me say no. Bob's your Uncle.
Why would the OP get anything? He hasn't been downgraded, delayed or moved from his original cabin.

Nick
Old Jun 19, 17, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thank you for all the responses, everyone. The aircraft is still showing as a 787-9 but of course there's always the possibility it switched to a 330 or 340 and then back to a 789 and that messed up the seats. Someone here also mentioned there could be a fault with that seat. If that were the issue, it would be nice to be contacted about that and to be notified of the reason for the move. I suppose that's possible too, I hadn't thought of that. My plan is to show up early to the airport and see what they can do.

In the grand scheme of things, I am still in Upper Class so I can't complain too much.
You could look at the seat map on EF as sometimes seats are indicated there as blocked when they're just marked as occupied on the airline's own seat maps. For instance, this tends to happen with DL which is a VS bilateral JV partner.
Old Jun 19, 17, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick View Post
Why would the OP get anything? He hasn't been downgraded, delayed or moved from his original cabin.

Nick
He would not get anything. I was just trying to point out that the OP should be happy that he was not downgraded.
Old Jun 19, 17, 2:49 pm

Go and enjoy a Champers for me. Please try and write up a Trip Report and post it here with photos. Enjoy your journey(:

Yes it would have been nice if the airline contacted you if your seat had a mechanical issue but sadly they don't. They are too busy with schedule changes, irregular operations and day to day operations. They can't read your mind that you would like to be contacted about a change of seats. Operations may have thought that the OP would not mind being moved to another Upper Class seat but sadly this is not the case as you have a preferred location.

My Parent's flight to Paris schedule changed and now departs 15 minutes earlier. Did the airline notify us? No. I knew about it because I 'babysit' the reservation by going online two or three times a week as I do for my own reservations just to check that the seat assignments have not changed to middle seats etc. Glad you will go to the airport early to try and sort it out.

Please come back to tell us the reason for the seat swap.

Go ahead and enjoy your trip!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 20, 17, 9:19 am

I have seen several mentions of this happening on TripAdvisor. Occasional instances of families having booked seats together only to find out at check-in that they have been re-assigned seats. What's the point of allowing UC to select their seats? Hopefully this is rare and VA won't resort to paid seat reservations in business like BA?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: