FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:42 am
NecessaryIndulgences

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Data points...

I had MEL-AUH-BOM booked in December, all A380 at the time of booking. Obviously since then EY has downgraded MEL-AUH and AUH-BOM to 77Ws. Not wanting to endure the 77W for 14+ hours, I called AA in the US to see if I could just switch to SYD-AUH-BOM as there was GF available for the same day. AAgent saw the availability and said she was able to book it, however wanted to charge the $150 change/redeposit fee due to change of departure city. As I was uninterested in paying the redeposit fee, I thanked her, said I would do a bit more research, and hung up.

To avoid the $150 fee but still get back on A380 equipment for the intercontinental segment, I decided to just add a domestic QF flight in from MEL-SYD and then onward on EY SYD-AUH-BOM. Called the US number back, however this AAgent could not see the F availability on the SYD-AUH EY flight that the AAgent 15 minutes earlier could, interesting. Again, I thanked her for her help and hung up.

For my third try I decided to call NZ and ask for the same thing. QF from MEL-SYD and then EY SYD-AUH-BOM. NZ AAgent was able to see the availability on all legs and change the ticket, plus the additional taxes which ended up being roughly $16.

I guess the moral of the story is just keep calling and eventually you'll likely figure out some kind of a desirable outcome.
Great end-result. Definitely reinforces the notion to keep trying until you get the right answer.

Yours is also is consistent with the experience of most that the US call centers are pretty much worthless for anything having to do with EY bookings. I've stopped even trying anywhere but the NZ/AU/Fiji call center. International LD calling is nearly free these days, so it's not worth the hassle of trying the US folks first.