FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA to Launch LAX-SIN!
View Single Post
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:35 am
John Aldeborgh

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by pbartp
UGGGHHHH! I'm booked EWR-HKG-SIN over Thanksgiving weekend. I hope this gets postponed until after that. I don't mind flying ULH on the pmCO 777 in E+. Now, a west coast connection and the 787 E+ seats + an extra 5 hours travel time!

I also preferred arriving SIN late in the evening-head straight to hotel and sleep after the long trip. Now only option is to arrive in morning and push through the first day--makes dealing with jet lag much harder IMHO.
I think this is the most relevant point for East Coast travelers. UA1 is a red eye and that is something, when flying coach, that makes this a no-go for me. I've taken UA2 a number of times and it's doable in coach. If the LAX-SIN flight is a red eye then I'll still fly EWR to HKG and use Dragon Air to SIN, the connection isn't too bad.

As for the folks who can't tolerate 16 or 17 hours in coach, I have two words, will power. I'm almost 61 and I've already made 11 Asian trips from BOS this year, all on heavily discounted coach tickets. We do what we need to do in life, the human sprit is remarkablely adaptable. Plus, I never ask my team to do anything I'm not willing to do myself, in actions not words.