FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 6 months in and out of S'pore
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:16 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by invisible
The six month figure comes into light because after that time in a calendar year you are considered to be a tax resident in Singapore. Which you can't be unless you have one of long term visas - WP/EP/LTSV.

Frequent visa runs might become a problem. You need to have a contingency plan what to do if one on such return back you won't be granted entry.
Many people, including the OP I suspect, would want to avoid being denied entry, not just have a contingency plan for if/when it occurs. I would expect Singapore to strictly enforce their laws about this.

Countries, including in Asia, increasingly are suspicious of someone who basically stays there but exits and re-enters every few months to avoid having a continuous stay that exceeds the visa-free period.

OT but IIRC a USA citizen can stay without a visa (assuming that a work permit etc. isn't required) in the schengen area of Europe for a total of three months (or 90 days) in any six month (or 180 days--I'm not sure about the precise details) period, continually re-calculated on a day to day basis.

I asked about lodging plans because it might suggest intent if one were to try to rent a serviced apartment for more than three months and it could be difficult to get a lease if they think that a visa is required.