Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

6 months in and out of S'pore

Old Jun 10, 17, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

My passport gives me 90 days visa free travel to S'pore.

I'm planning to use S'pore as a base for doing business in SE-Asia for 6 months - meaning that I'd be out of the country once or twice a month during this 6 months' period.

Would immigration be OK with this (starting the 90 days visa free at each entry) or would it become an issue?

I would not do any "on-shore" business in S'pore, just with customers in other countries. My salary will be coming from my home country.
Old Jun 11, 17, 8:00 pm

should be fine. standy a company letter stating the reason...
Old Jun 11, 17, 8:53 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
It might be a problem if you spend totally more than 6 month staying in Singapore.

As advised, you should get a company letter stating the purpose of staying. If you want to be totally safe, contact/email ICA and ask them for advice.
Old Jun 12, 17, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you planning to stay in hotels in Singapore, checking in and out on each trip, or will you try to rent an apartment?

Have you tried to check the rules on your Singapore embassy/consulate website?

You haven't told us your passport and country of permanent residence.
Old Jun 12, 17, 11:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
It might be a problem if you spend totally more than 6 month staying in Singapore.

As advised, you should get a company letter stating the purpose of staying. If you want to be totally safe, contact/email ICA and ask them for advice.
Six months or three months total?
Old Jun 12, 17, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

EU passport, same residence. The only rules I can find is 90 days visa free, without any refence to "within 180 days" or similar, which would suggest that the clock resets at every entry.

I checked the ICA pages, but it doesn't really help. There is a mention of "extension of short term visit pass" but that refers to "submit an application for extension of stay (not more than 89 days from the date of entry) online via e-XTEND." But we'll never be more than 89 days in SIN after the most recent entry.

It's undecided yet whether to stay long term at a hotel (it would probably be only a few checkouts, as my wife would spend more time in SIN) or rent a serviced apartment - at first look they seem to be in the same ballpark pricewise.

If push comes to shove, I can alway relocate to KL after 3 months, but would prefer to stay in SIN for the whole period.

This whole thing will not happen before November, so just checking my options/terms in good time beforehand.
Old Jun 12, 17, 1:07 pm

The six month figure comes into light because after that time in a calendar year you are considered to be a tax resident in Singapore. Which you can't be unless you have one of long term visas - WP/EP/LTSV.

Frequent visa runs might become a problem. You need to have a contingency plan what to do if one on such return back you won't be granted entry.
Old Jun 12, 17, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
The six month figure comes into light because after that time in a calendar year you are considered to be a tax resident in Singapore. Which you can't be unless you have one of long term visas - WP/EP/LTSV.

Frequent visa runs might become a problem. You need to have a contingency plan what to do if one on such return back you won't be granted entry.
Many people, including the OP I suspect, would want to avoid being denied entry, not just have a contingency plan for if/when it occurs. I would expect Singapore to strictly enforce their laws about this.

Countries, including in Asia, increasingly are suspicious of someone who basically stays there but exits and re-enters every few months to avoid having a continuous stay that exceeds the visa-free period.

OT but IIRC a USA citizen can stay without a visa (assuming that a work permit etc. isn't required) in the schengen area of Europe for a total of three months (or 90 days) in any six month (or 180 days--I'm not sure about the precise details) period, continually re-calculated on a day to day basis.

I asked about lodging plans because it might suggest intent if one were to try to rent a serviced apartment for more than three months and it could be difficult to get a lease if they think that a visa is required.
Old Jun 12, 17, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Countries, including in Asia, increasingly are suspicious of someone who basically stays there but exits and re-enters every few months to avoid having a continuous stay that exceeds the visa-free period.
Thailand and Malaysia come into mind. I am member of couple of non-english forums and there people from certain countries constantly whine that visa runs are not easy as in past. Good.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I asked about lodging plans because it might suggest intent if one were to try to rent a serviced apartment for more than three months and it could be difficult to get a lease if they think that a visa is required.
This most likely will be an issue. AFAIK, most (if not all) serviced apartment can't be rented beyond 3 month period.
Old Jun 16, 17, 8:32 am
Original Poster

I contacted ICA describing my plans and asking for advice - I got a totally useless copy-paste reply, not answering any of my questions (which were: 1) Is this OK by ICA? 2) If not, what is the correct procedure?)

There is no S'pore embassy here*, not even a hon. consul, so I cannot ask advice from there, either.

* actually there is - the ambassador is located in Singapore
Old Jun 17, 17, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
I contacted ICA describing my plans and asking for advice - I got a totally useless copy-paste reply, not answering any of my questions (which were: 1) Is this OK by ICA? 2) If not, what is the correct procedure?)
Can you pick up a phone and call?
Old Jun 19, 17, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
This is a typical answer from ICA, because they do not want to commit to an answer without assessing you either via passport or in person.

Even when working with them previously I get the same kind of answer as what you get now.

Even your 90 day visa free travel can easily change to 30 days or 60 days if the checkpoint immigration officer assess you being unsuitable for a 90 day entry permit. It can happen. The 90 day passport stamp is not guaranteed.

Search this Thread