FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:40 pm
cjermain

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by warrenw
Most of the stories in here are about dogs in the cabin, what about in the hold? I have a ~20lb corgi who will have to fly with me in a year or two when I eventually move back to the states - poor girl will have to endure a 10 hour flight - and in the hold because at 20lbs she's too big for the cabin.

Anybody have any experience with this?

There are all sorts of stories and opinions regarding United's PetSafe (and Continental's PetSafe before that). Some people will insist that even the shortest flight is cruel and dangerous for the animal and should be avoided at all costs. Few are open to changing their opinions regarding the cruelty, as most people already have strongly-held beliefs on this (I don't feel it is more stressful than being taken to a vet and left overnight for observation, which is plenty stressful, but not IMO cruel). As far as PetSafe, I have flown two different cats this way half a dozen times and have always been very impressed with the program. I think United does a great job. There have been some worrying incidents reported, but I have always been happy.
(Caveat: sounds like you will be flying internationally. This may be very different.)
​​​