FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US and UK residences - Which to use for SM account and implications?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:55 am
Task Force DL

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Rancher
I switched my SkyMiles account from the US to my primary residence in Canada several years ago.

The first hassle was to get Delta to validate the change. One cannot merely change addresses online. As I recall, I had to fax or mail supporting documentation to Delta. Emails were not acceptable.

Delta then took away all my status(except silver which I have for life). They also docked my account 50K miles. When I protested, repeatedly, at first Delta agents were kind. They said there must be some sort of mistake. Then they grew stern. When I pointed out I could find no rule or guidance that supported their action, they finally said they could do whatever they wanted to do, and ponted out a rule that said they could do whatever they wanted to do with no explanation.

I now maintain my status on Delta by flying AirFrance/KLM as often as possible and avoiding Delta like the plague. In the last five years, I have rarely been upgraded on Delta as a diamond or platinum.

Delta's behavior caused me to find a lovely low cost high quality airline based at MSP: Sun Country. Elite status is very easy to attain and maintain. In the 30+ times I have flown it so far this calendar year, I have never failed to have been upgraded. Their paid upgrades are also quite inexpensive, usually around $100/segment. Unfortunately Sun Country does not fly to Canada. I use Delta to fly to the US to connect with AirFrance/KLM and Sun County.

I would hope that Delta might realize its arrogance soon. Frequent fliers do talk amongst ourselves.
Yes - This is exactly what I was worried about. I will just leave it alone and keep my US address for now. I would like some more posts on this thread to get more data, but the existence proof of a nightmare like this is troubling...

TFD