Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

US and UK residences - Which to use for SM account and implications?

Old Jun 11, 17, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum

Hi Folks,

I saw a few threads on this but nothing answered my specific question. I have residences in the US and UK but the UK is really my "primary" residence now so I have been switching a lot of my programs over to my UK mailing address to eliminate the hassle of checking mail in the US.

My first question to you all. Is there any particular downside/upside to switching my skymiles account address to our UK address? I believe that one bonus is that I will be exempt from MQDs, but that is never a problem anyway since I have a DL AMEX and I always spend more than enough to make DM.

Second question - If I switch my address mid-year will I jeopardize any status/rollover/etc.?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

TFD
Old Jun 11, 17, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Starwood platinum, Hertz PC
Yes, there are punishments!

I switched my SkyMiles account from the US to my primary residence in Canada several years ago.

The first hassle was to get Delta to validate the change. One cannot merely change addresses online. As I recall, I had to fax or mail supporting documentation to Delta. Emails were not acceptable.

Delta then took away all my status(except silver which I have for life). They also docked my account 50K miles. When I protested, repeatedly, at first Delta agents were kind. They said there must be some sort of mistake. Then they grew stern. When I pointed out I could find no rule or guidance that supported their action, they finally said they could do whatever they wanted to do, and ponted out a rule that said they could do whatever they wanted to do with no explanation.

I now maintain my status on Delta by flying AirFrance/KLM as often as possible and avoiding Delta like the plague. In the last five years, I have rarely been upgraded on Delta as a diamond or platinum.

Delta's behavior caused me to find a lovely low cost high quality airline based at MSP: Sun Country. Elite status is very easy to attain and maintain. In the 30+ times I have flown it so far this calendar year, I have never failed to have been upgraded. Their paid upgrades are also quite inexpensive, usually around $100/segment. Unfortunately Sun Country does not fly to Canada. I use Delta to fly to the US to connect with AirFrance/KLM and Sun County.

I would hope that Delta might realize its arrogance soon. Frequent fliers do talk amongst ourselves.
Old Jun 11, 17, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
I switched my SkyMiles account from the US to my primary residence in Canada several years ago.

The first hassle was to get Delta to validate the change. One cannot merely change addresses online. As I recall, I had to fax or mail supporting documentation to Delta. Emails were not acceptable.

Delta then took away all my status(except silver which I have for life). They also docked my account 50K miles. When I protested, repeatedly, at first Delta agents were kind. They said there must be some sort of mistake. Then they grew stern. When I pointed out I could find no rule or guidance that supported their action, they finally said they could do whatever they wanted to do, and ponted out a rule that said they could do whatever they wanted to do with no explanation.

I now maintain my status on Delta by flying AirFrance/KLM as often as possible and avoiding Delta like the plague. In the last five years, I have rarely been upgraded on Delta as a diamond or platinum.

Delta's behavior caused me to find a lovely low cost high quality airline based at MSP: Sun Country. Elite status is very easy to attain and maintain. In the 30+ times I have flown it so far this calendar year, I have never failed to have been upgraded. Their paid upgrades are also quite inexpensive, usually around $100/segment. Unfortunately Sun Country does not fly to Canada. I use Delta to fly to the US to connect with AirFrance/KLM and Sun County.

I would hope that Delta might realize its arrogance soon. Frequent fliers do talk amongst ourselves.
Yes - This is exactly what I was worried about. I will just leave it alone and keep my US address for now. I would like some more posts on this thread to get more data, but the existence proof of a nightmare like this is troubling...

TFD
Old Jun 11, 17, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I can tell you this: Living in Israel (which has direct Delta flights (TLV-JFK) I get absolutely no promos.
Old Jun 11, 17, 1:17 pm
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
PM Living in France here. No issues when switching my address from the US to France. I was Silver with over 100K miles and maintained both status and miles. Upsides:
- No MQD requirement.
- I get invited to local DL events from time to time

Downsides:
- No credit card miles opportunity (maybe not relevant to you as you still maintain a residence in the US)
- Award tickets incur in a hefty international origin surcharge, sometimes tickets are cheaper than the surcharge itself.
- As Dovster already mentioned, no promotions at all, despite being a DL "hub"
Old Jun 11, 17, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I've lived in Japan for a decade but out of convenience, I kept my (parents') U.S. address registered until 2013, when the MQD rule went into effect for U.S.-based Medallions. Then I made the switch over to my Tokyo address.

I remember it being a bit annoying to do. Responding to the request, Delta asked for a copy of my Japanese ID to be translated into English. I did, sent it in and then no acknowledgement. Another email later, Delta says they never received the original request, so I did it all over again and the change went through.

Japan's always been the second largest Medallion market in the world, so being Japanese-registered actually yields a lot of interesting benefits. For example, any domestic Japan flight grants 500 RDMs if you send in a copy of your boarding pass. And you can redeem Skymiles for Skymark or Jetstar Asia flights.
Old Jun 11, 17, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

...They also docked my account 50K miles.
The address change process has been documented ~since Delta instituted the MQD waiver for non-U.S. citizens. It ends some easy gaming of the system.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...efinitive.html

As for removing miles, had you perhaps recently been awarded bonus(es) available only to U.S. citizens?
Old Jun 11, 17, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
As for removing miles, had you perhaps recently been awarded bonus(es) available only to U.S. citizens?
This is what I trying to understand 3Cforme

I am a US Citizen (and soon to be also a UK Citizen). I don't believe that any promotions are tied to citizenship, but rather to mailing address on the SM account. This is specifically why I am weighing my options.

TFD
Old Jun 11, 17, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
The address change process has been documented ~since Delta instituted the MQD waiver for non-U.S. citizens. It ends some easy gaming of the system.
It believe it is 'residence' (address) NOT 'citizens'.

I find it hard to believe DL would do such a think just because you change address. Is there more explanation to this?

I understand that once you change, you will maintain the current tier you have even if your MQM sans MQD exceeds that tier until you reach a next tier.
Ex: GM 115,000 MQM 7,000 MQD once move you will still be GM with 115,000 MQM. Only until you get 125,000 MQM you will jump PM and be DM right away regardless of MQD.

Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
Downsides:
- No credit card miles opportunity (maybe not relevant to you as you still maintain a residence in the US)
- Award tickets incur in a hefty international origin surcharge, sometimes tickets are cheaper than the surcharge itself.
- As Dovster already mentioned, no promotions at all, despite being a DL "hub"
You can still get benefits of US based DL Amex regardless of address.
I thought even if you are US based if award ticket originates in EU there will still be the same surcharge.
You will get location based promo, which means there is no current promo.
Old Jun 11, 17, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond

The documentation can be uploaded online via webform nowadays.
Old Jun 12, 17, 12:27 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I changed from US to Germany when I moved and had no problems.

If you don't need the MQD waiver then you can spend on better credit cards than the Delta Amexes. Their return is generally terrible unless you need the mileage boost MQMs.
Old Jun 12, 17, 6:58 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post

I thought even if you are US based if award ticket originates in EU there will still be the same surcharge.
Yes, that's the case for US Citizens, but not for former students, work visa, diplomats who moved away from the US, in that case most likely you need to close your Amex or pay the fees involved with wire transfer every month, plus submit a documentation to IRS through your bank every year.

True, if you are US based you still get the same surchage, but when you are based in Europe, most likely your award travel will start in Europe instead of the US, unless you nest award tickets with paid tickets.

True also for location based promo, but these promos simply do not exist, at least for customers based in France.
Old Jun 12, 17, 7:43 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
Yes, that's the case for US Citizens, but not for former students, work visa, diplomats who moved away from the US, in that case most likely you need to close your Amex or pay the fees involved with wire transfer every month, plus submit a documentation to IRS through your bank every year.

True, if you are US based you still get the same surchage, but when you are based in Europe, most likely your award travel will start in Europe instead of the US, unless you nest award tickets with paid tickets.

True also for location based promo, but these promos simply do not exist, at least for customers based in France.
I know few people who moved away but kept their credit cards and bank accounts. Agree, paying the annual fee might not be wise choice for many who don't consider returning. But there is also many cost effective methods than wire transfer to fund those accounts too. The thing I don't know about is the IRS documentations. What are you referring to?

On your case, switching to FB might be better.
Old Jun 12, 17, 8:00 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It believe it is 'residence' (address) NOT 'citizens'.

I find it hard to believe DL would do such a think just because you change address. Is there more explanation to this?

I understand that once you change, you will maintain the current tier you have even if your MQM sans MQD exceeds that tier until you reach a next tier.
Ex: GM 115,000 MQM 7,000 MQD once move you will still be GM with 115,000 MQM. Only until you get 125,000 MQM you will jump PM and be DM right away regardless of MQD.

If Rancher had already hit the DM level of 125,000 MQMs but didn't have the MQDs for DM (and maybe not for lower tiers either), DL IT would never check for status qualification levels because there would be no triggering event that year. However, this wouldn't explain status that was already granted being taken away, nor should it prevent earning status the following year.

I'm wondering whether the old address was SEA and there were not only 50,000 RDMs credited for SEA area promos but also a bunch of SEA promo MQMs. Removing not only the extra RDMs but also the MQMs could result in a lowered status level depending on the specific numbers and timing. In this case, effectively DL would be saying that the person really wasn't a SEA area resident at the time of the promos/ If the person had been taking a lot of flights from the overseas address and nothing or not much from the SEA area, that would be evidence that the overseas address had really occurred earlier and the person had failed to report the address change at the time in order to take advantage of the SEA area special promos during DL's Great War with AS.

There could be a special risk if the supporting documents you submit, such as a residence card or apartment lease, have dates that document the change of residence occurring long before you attempt to do the address change with DL.

Usually DL would seem to object to someone claiming an overseas residence to avoid the MQD requirements--IIRC this was when DL started demanding documentation ad discussed in the long thread on how to do this--but perhaps there can be an issue in the other direction wi someone should have done an address change but failed to do so.

Still, for many people this would bo potentially ambiguous. Someone could be offered a temporary job overseas that might or might not require an official permanent residence visa and work permit. Students do a year abroad regularly but intend to return to the USA at the end of that year's academic program, perhaps after a summer spent traveling. Some companies permit a long term leave for certain types of special projects which could involve a period spent doing charitible work abroad. When the time overseas is expected to be temporary and/or of limited duration (or if the person is planning to "try it out" first and then decide on more permanent plans such a potential purchase of a home overseas), it's pretty common to maintain USA bank accounts and credit cards, mailing addresses, etc.
Old Jun 12, 17, 11:56 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I know few people who moved away but kept their credit cards and bank accounts.
I am one of them. Amex will let me keep any card I had before I moved but will not allow me to get a different one.

BoA does allow me to get new cards.

I use my HHonors Amex only when staying at a Hilton property or when I am buying something (like air tickets) for which the charges are in dollars. Otherwise, their Forex charges are ridiculous.

BoA gives me a Visa Signature Travel Rewards Card which not only has no Forex charges but actually has a 1.6% moneyback program. This makes it less expensive for me to buy something in Israel on my BoA card than it is using my Israeli MC.

When using an ATM I use my Schwab debit card which has no Forex charges but also returns ATM charges from any machine in the world.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: