FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Incessant Timeshare Telemarketing Calls
View Single Post
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:27 am
birdiedouble

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
I've said it a few times in similar threads: Don't put your phone number in your Hilton profile. Years ago, I stayed at a Vegas HGVC and BOOM - instant phone-spam for a year. All with the "We're the Vacations Department and you've won..." themes.

I changed my number to a 555-5555 type dummy number and after a while of blocking calls, asking to be added to do not call lists (which they don't honor, but if I do make contact, might as well ask before they hang up.) the calls finally stopped.

I've never been contacted by legit Hilton reservations to get an upgrade or walked or whatever, so whatever "risk" there is of not getting or missing legit Hilton comms is far outweighed by not getting spam calls.
While I probably get about 10-12 calls like this throughout the year,I'm not sure all of them are from Hilton. I believe a few of them might be from other vendors. I'm at the point now that I just decline any calls from 407, although some telemarketers have started to spoof numbers local to me.

As far as putting a dummy number on your Hilton profile, I would tend to disagree with that based on two experiences I had. One was a simple issue with a credit card on my profile that had been replaced during the Target hack and I had never updated. It was valid when I made the reservation, but I received a call from the hotel I planned to arrive late at during the afternoon to confirm my stay. The other one was a great upgrade I got at a Doubletree in 2015. I had two rooms reserved and the Gen Mgr called me as I was driving to the hotel to inquire if I would accept an upgrade to the Pres Suite. Ended up with the upgrade and paid the rate for 1 room, plus they gave me a $100 credit for the restaurant and left flowers and champagne in the room for my wife and I. Our 25 yo son was staying with us and it was a great stay. I know this is a one off experience, but I'll put up with the occasional annoyance of the TM calls.