Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Incessant Timeshare Telemarketing Calls

Old Jun 6, 17, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,

Any other HH members getting constant telemarketing calls for timeshares and Hilton Vacations? Much of the time, it is a recording with a young woman who at first seems real until you try to talk back to her.

Is there a way to "opt out" of these calls? The Federal "do not call" list won't work because it doesn't cover business entities with which you already have a relationship.
Old Jun 6, 17, 6:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
I'm just at the point where I don't answer phone calls from Orlando area codes, which is where they usually call from.

I actually don't answer my phone in general unless its a number I have saved to my contacts, or I'm expecting a call.
Old Jun 6, 17, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
....I actually don't answer my phone in general unless its a number I have saved to my contacts, or I'm expecting a call.
:-: Good strategy. Robocalls are getting out of hand.
Old Jun 6, 17, 6:58 pm

From the "Choices - Marketing Communications" section of the Hilton Grand Vacations Privacy Statement:

"To be added to HGV’s internal do not call list, send a message to [email protected]."

Source: http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/...cy-policy.html

No clue if that actually works, but there's probably no downside to making the request.
Old Jun 6, 17, 7:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RobertS975 View Post
Is there a way to "opt out" of these calls? The Federal "do not call" list won't work because it doesn't cover business entities with which you already have a relationship.
Next time you get a call wait until you get a human and then politely say "Do you have a do not call list? Can you please put me on it?"

Problem solved.

Neil
Old Jun 6, 17, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Add your phone to the FTC's do-not-call list. Marketers check that and face fines for violating it. Unlike the fraudsters, otherwise legitimate companies, do pay attention.
Old Jun 6, 17, 9:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I've said it a few times in similar threads: Don't put your phone number in your Hilton profile. Years ago, I stayed at a Vegas HGVC and BOOM - instant phone-spam for a year. All with the "We're the Vacations Department and you've won..." themes.

I changed my number to a 555-5555 type dummy number and after a while of blocking calls, asking to be added to do not call lists (which they don't honor, but if I do make contact, might as well ask before they hang up.) the calls finally stopped.

I've never been contacted by legit Hilton reservations to get an upgrade or walked or whatever, so whatever "risk" there is of not getting or missing legit Hilton comms is far outweighed by not getting spam calls.
Old Jun 6, 17, 9:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
From the "Choices - Marketing Communications" section of the Hilton Grand Vacations Privacy Statement:

"To be added to HGVs internal do not call list, send a message to [email protected]."

Source: http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/...cy-policy.html

No clue if that actually works, but there's probably no downside to making the request.
It has not worked for me, i have started wondering if there is a limit to the # of phone numbers i can block on my IPhone. These folks drive me crazy - and they seem to know just the wrong time to call.
Old Jun 6, 17, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
I'm just at the point where I don't answer phone calls from Orlando area codes, which is where they usually call from.

I actually don't answer my phone in general unless its a number I have saved to my contacts, or I'm expecting a call.
Me too. I get several unwanted calls per day from scammers who fake that they're calling from my area code and exchange.
Old Jun 6, 17, 9:43 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL Gold
The one that I get starts with a woman giggling and that say that she was just adjusting her headset. I have tried to get to a person to get opted out, but you have to answer several questions. However, I have usually lost patience and can't wait the questions out.

I wonder if they have people that take them up on these offers.
Old Jun 6, 17, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Add your phone to the FTC's do-not-call list. Marketers check that and face fines for violating it. Unlike the fraudsters, otherwise legitimate companies, do pay attention.
But the fraudsters are the one who you don't want.
Old Jun 7, 17, 12:00 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Just the facts

Use a FAX number (that is what I do with domain registrations). It is a valid number and if you were getting valid calls they would just fax you the info.

I have a free NYC number through CallCentric but have to get a few minutes worth of calls each month to keep the number. Thus I fax myself. The call is free, converting to fax is free. How do they make their money? Volume! Volume! Volume! :-)

They convert a fax to a PDF and email it to you all for free. You just have to tell them you want the free number but will be using it outside he US. That keeps them from having to force you to get a 911 service. Since you are using it for faxes, the fax machine will never call 911 will it?
Old Jun 7, 17, 5:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant View Post
I've said it a few times in similar threads: Don't put your phone number in your Hilton profile. Years ago, I stayed at a Vegas HGVC and BOOM - instant phone-spam for a year. All with the "We're the Vacations Department and you've won..." themes.

I changed my number to a 555-5555 type dummy number and after a while of blocking calls, asking to be added to do not call lists (which they don't honor, but if I do make contact, might as well ask before they hang up.) the calls finally stopped.

I've never been contacted by legit Hilton reservations to get an upgrade or walked or whatever, so whatever "risk" there is of not getting or missing legit Hilton comms is far outweighed by not getting spam calls.
While I probably get about 10-12 calls like this throughout the year,I'm not sure all of them are from Hilton. I believe a few of them might be from other vendors. I'm at the point now that I just decline any calls from 407, although some telemarketers have started to spoof numbers local to me.

As far as putting a dummy number on your Hilton profile, I would tend to disagree with that based on two experiences I had. One was a simple issue with a credit card on my profile that had been replaced during the Target hack and I had never updated. It was valid when I made the reservation, but I received a call from the hotel I planned to arrive late at during the afternoon to confirm my stay. The other one was a great upgrade I got at a Doubletree in 2015. I had two rooms reserved and the Gen Mgr called me as I was driving to the hotel to inquire if I would accept an upgrade to the Pres Suite. Ended up with the upgrade and paid the rate for 1 room, plus they gave me a $100 credit for the restaurant and left flowers and champagne in the room for my wife and I. Our 25 yo son was staying with us and it was a great stay. I know this is a one off experience, but I'll put up with the occasional annoyance of the TM calls.
Old Jun 7, 17, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The FTC "do not call" list exempts businesses and organizations with which you have an established relationship.
Old Jun 7, 17, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathinJax View Post
The one that I get starts with a woman giggling and that say that she was just adjusting her headset. I have tried to get to a person to get opted out, but you have to answer several questions. However, I have usually lost patience and can't wait the questions out.

I wonder if they have people that take them up on these offers.
We receive this giggling girl call several times a month, at a minimum.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: