FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:04 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by travelmom4
So I am going to be visiting Spain this summer-5 days in a small town in the Basque Country, 5 days in Barcelona and a week in a house on the Costa Brava. Traveling with my husband and four almost grown kids. I am going to pack light and am in need a packing/fashion consult.
Sounds fun, I'd love to come with you!

My cool weather travel wardrobe includes 2 pair of black pants, a black skirt, tops or sweaters in white and black in various sleeve length and weights for layering and scarves to change my look. I am not sure what to take for this trip. I live in New Orleans so during hot summers I wear breezy dresses and the only pants I can stand are linen (I don't mind casually rumpled). I wear a lot of white which is not so practical when I have to wear a few times before washing. Ideas?
Black might be appropriate in the Basque County, as it seems most ladies there over a certain age wear only black, but I wouldn't wear it in Barcelona or on the Costa Brava. For one thing, it might quite hot. We were looking into going to Barcelona this summer, and one thing that turned off my son is that a friend was telling us Barcelona "is very, very fashion conscious" - not what a teen boy wants to hear.

Somebody online - maybe LL Bean? - has washable linen pants that I came across recently. Add a blue or khaki pair?

Shoes are always the biggest challenge as i need something that I can walk in for long distances but still look attractive. I am 50 something and not a fashionista but I don't want to look frumpy, either. I would like to limit myself to three pairs. I have a comfy pair of Eileen Fisher Sport sandals which I can wear all day and are not too goofy and a pair of wedge espadrille sandals (Andre Assous) which are also very comfy. I am considering some Superga or similar canvas tennis shoes for my third pair. I am seeing them with dresses/skirts and also pants but wondering if I am too old for the look. Any advice or suggestions?
I wore sneakers that looked like that back in the '70's. Been there, didn't like them then, don't like them now. Tastes differ, others may love them.

For extensive walking and trying to look decent in a skirt or dress, I like these shoes by SAS. Comfortable, durable, not too young/trendy/doofy for my taste.