View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 17, 5:29 pm
WHBM

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Which brings us to your propeller quiz item. Of course, I have no bloody clue. So then, a wild guess: a Lockheed Constellation.
Not a Connie. There's one operational in Europe which turns up at odd airshows. But what passed over me was an actual commercial flight.

50th year anniversary just a few days ago: the release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles back in 1967
Ah yes. Released summer 1967. School geography class field trip for the day. At lunchtime, sat in a classic English countryside field with our sandwiches and bottles of tepid lemonade, someone has brought a small transistor radio (cool in 1967) and we tuned to Radio Caroline. And I recall "She's Leaving Home" from the album came up, my first hearing of what is still one of my favourite tracks of theirs. What does this have to do with our thread ? Well, the entrepreneur behind "pirate radio" Radio Caroline, which broadcast from an offshore ship without any approval and knocked the then-monopolistic and dreary BBC's Radio productions for six, both in audience share and programme quality, subsequently got his hands on two Lockheed L-1649A Starliners, and was going to fly them in orbits at 30,000 feet over the North Sea transmitting television programmes, with commercials, to Britain. It never worked out, but would have been an interesting use of some old propliners.

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 4, 17 at 5:58 pm