FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)
View Single Post
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:17 am
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Happy
This is no longer a simple DCC issue, but a serious lack of customer service and the issue of how poorly Chase handles disputes (of any kind).
I'll concede that you had a bad experience here where promises fell short, but there have been multiple reports of successful DCC claims with Chase. I agree though that it's best to get everything in writing. There's an arbitration address that would force them to respond in writing. These people have far more discretion than a customer service rep repeating off of a script.

Poland is DCC country on every POS.
Poland is as bad as China, if not worse, for DCC. Of course, I would encourage you to contest the charges... They see enough non-Zloty denominated cards to know what's up there, so I wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt. Make no mistake about it. It's just like Ireland where they will tell you, "Oh. It's just for your reference." "There's no way to opt out." "I don't know what you're talking about."

If contactless payments are viable for small purchases, I would default to those. Apple and Android Pay are incapable of DCC as well, right? Is there a limit for contactless transactions in Poland? For instance, Estonia had a limit of €10. (klashn and I tried higher purchase amounts, but the transactions failed. I've run into similar limitations in the UK, but fortunately DCC is completely discretionary there without any language barrier.

Did not use card in Tallinn where we only bought a day pass on the public transportation with cash as the only spend.

At Helsinki the only spend was to pay the Finnair bus to the airport. The driver processed the payment with CSR, in Chip + Signature fashion. No DCC.
Fellow FlyerTalk members klashn and terryversay and I were in Helsinki and Tallinn for a total of 5 days. We made numerous purchases in both places, including hotels, department stores, airport shops, transit, taxis, museums, gift shops, and restaurants. We charged everything and didn't see anything except euros being charged. While I can't say there's no DCC, we certainly didn't see anything resembling it.