FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Old May 31, 2017, 12:13 pm
bmw303

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

You're not even guaranteed 1 companion as a DL platinum. For example, if you're on an award ticket, your companion is not eligible (unless your companion is also a medallion). DL in this regard is terrible and UA is far superior. I hope that UA is not going to change its elite access to E+ policy to match DL because of the meal service its now introducing. [UPDATE: This policy changed in April, so looks like you would get 1 companion on DL. Thanks LBJ]

As a United elite, I book tickets at united.com without looking at other airline prices . . . in large part because I do think United treats its elite members better than the competition (and that is in large part because of its E+). In effect I, and I would be willing to wager that many others, pay more to solely fly UA over the course of a year. So I do believe United profits from having a competitive E+ with its current access policy. The Platinum /1K family benefit (+8 guests) is wonderful. While I rarely use it, on the rare occasion I have a few companions, its nice that we can all enjoy E+.

If UA keeps its current access policy for elites and the meal service is a bonus then UA would have a clearly superior premium economy offering for elite members which would be wonderful and a very elite friendly move, in which case ^^UA!

Last edited by bmw303; Jun 1, 2017 at 8:29 am