FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members
Old May 29, 2017, 4:19 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FincaEstrellita
Hmm. Those concerns were addressed in her interview during the visa approval process at the U.S. Embassy and she told them specifically that she would be traveling together with me, that I would be paying, and that we have tickets to return to CR just before the New Year. She was approved with no further questions. I suppose I could put some money in her bank account so she can have proof of money, print out a copy of her return ticket, and have her bring her proof of student status.

The pain-in-the-... thing is that our life (and my house) is in CR. I'm there 7 months of the year and we have zero interest in being in the U.S. other than visiting my folks for Christmas. That's why I thought it might be best if I go with her to help clarify the situation if need be. Do you still stick with your recommendation? I mean, they're going to ask why she's coming into the country - wouldn't it be prudent to tell the simple truth that we're going to be there for two weeks and then return together to CR?
Just go with her via the visa-user line. Most times, it goes just fine. And even if you went separately from her, there may still be problems at the US port of entry. As long as she still has relevant ties to get her to return to Costa Rica -- which may well include you -- it's likely there won't be any problems. More often the problems end up hitting when going separately and the visiting significant other type seems to be less than straight in telling it as it is as perceived in the mind of a suspicious CBP employee.

I would suggest going through the same US port of entry passport control line as her.