FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members
Old May 28, 2017, 9:16 pm
FincaEstrellita

Originally Posted by catocony
I advise going through completely separately and not meeting up until you've passed through Customs and are outside the CBP zone. She should not mention that she's in the US to see her American boyfriend, and you should not mention that you're bringing a girl with you. The general assumption is that she is coming to stay and will not return to Costa Rica if she's staying on your dime. She needs to be prepared to show that she has her return ticket, that she has money or credit to stay in the US for her vacation, that she has a job, family and house back home that she needs to return to.
Hmm. Those concerns were addressed in her interview during the visa approval process at the U.S. Embassy and she told them specifically that she would be traveling together with me, that I would be paying, and that we have tickets to return to CR just before the New Year. She was approved with no further questions. I suppose I could put some money in her bank account so she can have proof of money, print out a copy of her return ticket, and have her bring her proof of student status.

The pain-in-the-... thing is that our life (and my house) is in CR. I'm there 7 months of the year and we have zero interest in being in the U.S. other than visiting my folks for Christmas. That's why I thought it might be best if I go with her to help clarify the situation if need be. Do you still stick with your recommendation? I mean, they're going to ask why she's coming into the country - wouldn't it be prudent to tell the simple truth that we're going to be there for two weeks and then return together to CR?