FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus
Old May 28, 2017, 2:45 pm
dkerr

Originally Posted by IntlSalesGuy
BR confirmed there were 3 available, but I was hesitant to take them, since I would have to split my PNR and I am traveling with my family with other airline segments (Alaska Airlines) on the trip. They would lose my FF benefits (preferred seats, baggage, etc.).

My main concern is that I had issues with United's SAUA request website, as when I tried it the first time, it showed 4 were available for 120K miles and I hit "Confirm", but it came back with an "Error !" message. I am afraid if I split the PNR for the 3, I might end up with the "Error !" message again and then I'm stuck with no upgrades and a split PNR. It has been a messy situation...
While I can't speak for what it is like with Alaska I can speak for American. In this case I have had to split my family PNR to secure upgrades. The person with highest status is always the last person to get upgraded... to preserve whatever benefits/priorities are available. For preferred seat assignments, once they are assigned they are not lost if the non-status persons get separated into another PNR... but they will lose the ability to reassign to preferred seating. As for baggage, once in business class there should be no issue with baggage, at least on BR... but it would depend on AS applying baggage rules for the "most significant segment" to your connecting flight, they should, but you would need to check on that.

DAK.