FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016
Old May 20, 2017, 2:40 pm
Aliquot

Originally Posted by jordyn
Not really. I maintain that the "no through-checked bags on separate tickets" is an ineffective revenue protection mechanism. You seem to disagree, but your rationale is based on end-on-end ticketing and has nothing to do with bags.

Or maybe you just thought I was originally talking about end-on-end ticketing? For clarity: I was not.
End on end has a lot to do with bags. When it was allowed there was not often a reason to buy seperate tickets. If it was still allowed we could put together the fares we want and be sure to get bags checked through and protection for missed connections.

Now if we put together our own fares and want to check a bag we have to calculate the time and stress required to retrieve and recheck bags. It certainly doesn't stop everyone from doing this, but I am sure it reduces the number of passages "self connecting". From AA's perspective it only has to persuade some percentage of passages to pay the single ticket price for it to be a success. I don't know what the percent is, but we will know it failed if they change their policies.