FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mainport, Rotterdam, Design Hotels [Master Thread]
Old May 19, 2017, 4:09 pm
rdlmitedu

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I love this place. Checked in today for one night to break up a drive from Koeln to somewhere in western France. EUR 117 prepaid rate for the basest room, got upgraded to harborview sauna. Room service is ok-pricing, not amazing, but good (especially as I hadn't eaten for ~36h, since the Sheraton Frankfurt's amazing breakfast a couple days ago)

High floor rooms might have a slightly better view, but here I'd prefer a low floor to be closer to the water. The sauna and jacuzzi in-room are the first time I've ever had that combination; now I want a sauna at my house once I finally stop being homeless. Toiletries are martin+goetz, my new favorite for hotels, and there's also a rainfall shower. Great TV, super-fast Internet, comfortable bed and linens; overall it's not a huge hotel room, but it's perfect. I regret only being here one night.

"Limited" SPG participation -- I got an upgrade due to SPG, presumably, and I assume I'm getting 500 points, but breakfast is EUR 20 prepaid (which I accepted at checkin). If they fully participated in SPG and let you use SNAs to get the bigger suites, that would be amazing.

(The funniest situation happened at checkin. I am driving a (Sixt, rental, awesome) Audi A6, white, with German plates. All my luggage is in the trunk, so the back seat is empty. I was stopped blocking their valet entrance (it's a little confusing, especially if you're not used to Dutch protected bike paths). As I got out of the car and got back in to properly park for the valet, a (Scottish? English?) guy, very "excited", got into the back right passenger seat and said "please take me to the gay sauna around the corner" (I assume he meant "Finland Sauna Rotterdam"). I was puzzled for many reasons: 1) he spoke English first 2) I briefly thought maybe he was the valet guy showing me where to park, but that seemed a bit rude/presumptuous to just get into my car 3) I'm old/boring, but didn't realize "gay saunas" were even still a thing after the 80s 4) I just spent a week doing tactical classes at Sig with shooting in/out of cars, etc., and getting carjacked in the Netherlands would be impossible to live down 5) I was tired.

I realized he thought I was a taxi, and replied (in English) "sorry, I don't know" and he said something like "oh, you don't know where it is" etc., so maybe he thought I was still a taxi, but not a homophobe?). He was in the lobby asking for gay sauna info while I was checking in, too, without much luck. I hope he eventually Googled or something.)