Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mainport, Rotterdam, Design Hotels [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...language=en_US
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Stayed here about a year ago, terrific property - I still fondly remember the jacuzzi tub. A most welcome addition to SPG.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Plat, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
A great hotel, I stayed here during the weekend and since the 9th of December it has become part of the SPG program, the program states that this property only has got limited participation in the SPG Program. I would say that they go beyond the limited participation, as a SPG Gold they offered me a complementary upgrade to a Harbour Room (great views!!) and they also offered me late check out, which should both not be part of the SPG "Limited" package. I was surprised and it was a great stay!
Old May 11, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
gonna check out tomorrow. (from a 3 night stay)

this hotel reminds me a lot of a (not too fancy or lower tier) W or a le meridien.

at check-in, no mention of spg benefits, no recognition of platinum status, no late check out offered. however, staff were nice and helpful.

i booked a waterfront sauna room. no upgrade as expected, no complain either (because it's not a published benefit for staying at a design hotel).

room was fine, the highlight were the in-room sauna and jacuzzi tub. i quite like their toiletries. there was an illy coffee maker machine which was nice. bed was comfortable like a sheraton sweet sleeper bed (IMO). no sofa and couch to sit, just an ottoman chair. no drawers can be found just a little wardrobe.

all tv channels were in HD (you also have another one in mirror in the bathroom). wifi was great. i downloaded some movies for the total of almost 50GB!!!

housekeeping service needs some improvement but acceptable.

breakfast buffet at restaurant downstairs was pretty good, over my expectation. nice spread and quality (both cold and hot items). there was an made-to-order cooking station (pancakes and eggs benedict also included). champange (or sparkling wine) also avialable for free. service was very good. my rate originally not included breakfast but i booked it in advance for 20 EUR/person (they sent me an offer via email 2 days before arrival). i though it was very reasonable and acceptable price.

had a look at a small gym and pool on 8th floor and found it was ok (shared pool with connected hotel - same owner i guess).

location was pretty good in my opinion. right on the tram and metro stop.

overall a pretty nice stay and most likely to return again.

p.s. sorry for my poor english

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; May 12, 2016 at 2:36 am
Old May 17, 2016, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How much does the breakfast buffet cost if you don't book it in advance, so that it isn't included as part of your room rate?
Old May 18, 2016, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How much does the breakfast buffet cost if you don't book it in advance, so that it isn't included as part of your room rate?
28 euro per person
Old May 18, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks. Is it worth taking the breakfast, perhaps for one morning, at this price? I'm normally not a big breakfast eater, so it often seems to me that it's far too much food, especially if the hotel is emphasizing quantity over quality. My rate doesn't include breakfast and the SPG website/confirmation doesn't seem to show an option to add the breakfast (unless this offer comes closer to arrival, like some of the pay-to-upgrade choices). Also, do you remember how late breakfast is served on weekdays? (I'll be jet lagged.)

I'm likely to be staying here next month. Am I correct in assuming that the harbor/water view rooms are a lot more fun, even though the city view ones seem more spacious?
Old May 18, 2016, 6:49 pm

For 28 euro price, i found it a bit expensive.

Yes this offer comes closer to arrival. I got an email from the hotel (not spg) 2 days before arrival. they also offered room upgrade with additional fee.

IIRC, breakfast is served bteween 6-10 am.

From the floor plan, i saw no significant difference in size of the harbour view and city view rooms. However, my waterfront room seems a bit bigger and has nicer view.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
For 28 euro price, i found it a bit expensive.

Yes this offer comes closer to arrival. I got an email from the hotel (not spg) 2 days before arrival. they also offered room upgrade with additional fee.

IIRC, breakfast is served bteween 6-10 am.

From the floor plan, i saw no significant difference in size of the harbour view and city view rooms. However, my waterfront room seems a bit bigger and has nicer view.
I guess I missed the distinction: for the view, harbor view is not the same as waterfront? I assume that waterfront rooms are an even higher category, but are these the ones that are designated as "spa", whatever that means? More generally (you've been extremely helpful) what can you tell me about room categories beyond what I can see on the website? I'm feeling very confused.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:10 pm

i suggest you this website http://www.mainporthotel.com/en/Rooms.html

it gave me good guidance of how each room type is.

harbour view room, to me, is like a waterfront room without in-room sauna (which i didn't use at all).
Old May 18, 2016, 10:49 pm

i suggest you this website http://www.mainporthotel.com/en/Rooms.html

it gave me good guidance of how each room type is.

harbour view room, to me, is like a waterfront room without in-room sauna (which i didn't use at all).
I did look at this information, which is what initially convinced me that the difference was, as you state, the sauna (which I don't think I would use), but then comments in this thread made me doubt that the harbor view and waterfront rooms indeed have the same views.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:41 am

gonna check out tomorrow. (from a 3 night stay)

this hotel reminds me a lot of a (not too fancy or lower tier) W or a le meridien.

at check-in, no mention of spg benefits, no recognition of platinum status, no late check out offered. however, staff were nice and helpful.

i booked a waterfront sauna room. no upgrade as expected, no complain either (because it's not a published benefit for staying at a design hotel).

room was fine, the highlight were the in-room sauna and jacuzzi tub. i quite like their toiletries. there was an illy coffee maker machine which was nice. bed was comfortable like a sheraton sweet sleeper bed (IMO). no sofa and couch to sit, just an ottoman chair. no drawers can be found just a little wardrobe.

all tv channels were in HD (you also have another one in mirror in the bathroom). wifi was great. i downloaded some movies for the total of almost 50GB!!!

housekeeping service needs some improvement but acceptable.

breakfast buffet at restaurant downstairs was pretty good, over my expectation. nice spread and quality (both cold and hot items). there was an made-to-order cooking station (pancakes and eggs benedict also included). champange (or sparkling wine) also avialable for free. service was very good. my rate originally not included breakfast but i booked it in advance for 20 EUR/person (they sent me an offer via email 2 days before arrival). i though it was very reasonable and acceptable price.

had a look at a small gym and pool on 8th floor and found it was ok (shared pool with connected hotel - same owner i guess).

location was pretty good in my opinion. right on the tram and metro stop.

overall a pretty nice stay and most likely to return again.

p.s. sorry for my poor english
It sounds like you did get a one category room upgrade. Apparently you booked a harbor/waterfront sauna room (with a private sauna in the room/bathroom) and were given a much larger harbor/waterfront spa room (with private sauna in the bathroom and also a huge jacuzzi round tub in the room, by the window).

I booked the harbor room and was given the spa room, which was a nice two-category upgrade, where some properties would call the spa room a junior suite (but I wouldn't). Despite the email/reservation confirmation saying not to expect many SPG elite benefits, I was also offered (and accepted) 4 pm checkout, although the hotel didn't seem to be full for the next night. In addition, I was given my room upon arrival, a bit before 9 am. [For the record, my status was acknowledged at check in without any prompting.]

Overall the hotel went far above and beyond on elite benefits. Staff seemed happy and excited to be part of Starwood, although I didn't ask them about the Marriott merger.

I found the service to be very friendly and willing, but restaurant service (for a late dinner) was rather bad. Moreover, the front desk didn't know the correct hours for the restaurant and this information was not in the room.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It sounds like you did get a one category room upgrade. Apparently you booked a harbor/waterfront sauna room (with a private sauna in the room/bathroom) and were given a much larger harbor/waterfront spa room (with private sauna in the bathroom and also a huge jacuzzi round tub in the room, by the window).

I booked the harbor room and was given the spa room, which was a nice two-category upgrade, where some properties would call the spa room a junior suite (but I wouldn't). Despite the email/reservation confirmation saying not to expect many SPG elite benefits, I was also offered (and accepted) 4 pm checkout, although the hotel didn't seem to be full for the next night. In addition, I was given my room upon arrival, a bit before 9 am. [For the record, my status was acknowledged at check in without any prompting.]

Overall the hotel went far above and beyond on elite benefits. Staff seemed happy and excited to be part of Starwood, although I didn't ask them about the Marriott merger.

I found the service to be very friendly and willing, but restaurant service (for a late dinner) was rather bad. Moreover, the front desk didn't know the correct hours for the restaurant and this information was not in the room.
i didn't get any upgrades. i booked a waterfront sauna room and that's what i got.

no round jacuzzi tub by the window in my room, just the rectangular jacuzzi tub in the bathroom.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:07 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
April 2016, Our 2 nights/ 3 days stay

The Mainport Hotel in Rotterdam by Inntel Hotels is the only 5 Star luxury design hotel in the city. Since it was my better half's birthday we wanted something special again in April 2016 and after long consideration booked the Mainport Hotel, our second Design Hotel Member after Das Stue in Berlin in which we stayed in April 2015.

|| MAINPORT BY INNTEL HOTELS || A MEMBER OF DESIGN HOTELS || ROTTERDAM || THE NETHERLANDS || OUR STAY IN APRIL 2016 INCL. HARBOUR ROOM : FAR EAST THEME, BREAKFAST, IN-ROOM DINNER, EXTERIOR & INTERIOR || A BEAUTIFUL HOTEL || HIGHLY RECOMMENDED || by UggBoy UggGirl, on Flickr

We were in contact with the hotel before our stay to organize some treats for my fiancé’s celebration and to tell them our preferences.

We also received a special offer for breakfast via email, which we took up. The original cost would have been 28 Euro (ca. 31.15 USD) per person, but it was reduced to 20 Euro (ca. 22.25 USD) per person.

At first we weren't sure if we would like the location entirely since it wasn't in the city centre per se, but in the Inner Harbour of Rotterdam. It proved to be ideal for us to explore the city by tram and underground.

The hotel is located by the water and "hugs" it.

Our journey started in Dublin. The flight to Amsterdam Schiphol was pleasant and eventless with Aer Lingus. We then took the train to Rotterdam Main Train Station, which is a magnificent building, and bought there a three day OP Card to have unlimited access to the public transport system in Rotterdam. It cost 16.50 Euro / ca. 18.35 USD per person. The Metro Station Leuvehaven is directly across the road from the hotel.

The Mainport Hotel is easy to identify. It has a chakra as its logo. It was specifically created for the hotel. Feran Thomassen was responsible for the interior, MAS Architects for the exterior.

The ground floor has a large open space with high floor to ceiling windows and dark floors, maps of sea routes and the world and stylish seating areas. The reception and the concierge were based there too. Guests could browse the oversized Design Hotel Catalogue in the lobby as well for even more travel inspirations ahead.

Another nice touch were the show cases for spa products, watches, Mainport branded articles and jams made locally by underprivileged persons to allow them a better life, for sale at the hotel.

Check in was done quickly and my fiancé’s birthday the next day was also mentioned.

Our preference for a higher floor was definitely considered. We were given a room on the highest floor, which was inspired by the Far East. It was just right for us, since we love to travel to this region. Each floor is dedicated to a different continent/region of our beautiful planet.

The Spa Heaven was on the same floor.

Our room and the floor were decorated with tapestry in red, black, yellow and orange. The prints depicted dragons, Chinese doors, Indonesian puppets, pots and kois.

The carpet included the chakra.

Our Superior Room with Harbor View was large with a small hallway and wooden floors. The toilet was in its own room just by the entrance to the left. The only minor gripe would be that the toilet room didn't have a sink or disinfectant, so you had to walk with your unclean hands to the main bathroom around the corner.

The bespoke Doux Luxury and Comfort Bed was large and as the name implied comfortable. It allowed for a good night's rest due to the support the mattress provided.

The floor to ceiling windows offered stunning views over the harbor and the city which felt awesome and made the room look bigger and brigther with a stunning outdoor backdrop on offer.

The svivable flat screen TV offered regional and international channels and stood on a credenza straight after the bed. It could be easily enjoyed from there or the modern seating area with coffee table, where the design continued. The chair might look uncomfortable, but it was the whole opposite and we enjoyed sitting there.

There were also a notebook, where guests could leave impressions for other guests behind, and a city map.

The minibar contained some interesting items like Healthy Juice (4.50 Euro / ca. 5 USD), a ladies kit (3.95 Euro / ca. 4.40 USD), the love kit (3.50 Euro / ca. 3.90 USD) or the 50 Shades of Grey kit (29.95 Euro / ca. 33.20 USD).

An Illy Coffee Machine and capsules were provided. Surprisingly only the first two capsules were free, otherwise 2.50 Euro (ca. 2.80 USD) were charged.

24 hour in room dining was available. We used it once during our two nights stay. We ordered a large bottle of Acqua Panna, Dutch Bitterballen (bitterballs) with mustard, Yakitori with Wakame salad and soy sauce, 2 Tuna Salad Sandwiches with gherkin, paprika and red onion and a New York cheesecake. The portions were very generous.

It was our first time we had bitterballen, which we liked and would eat again.

The meal was delicious and of memorable/good quality.

It cost 45 Euro (ca. 50 USD) which we judeged to be good value.

The writing desk was beautifully decorated with nautical and Indonesian/Japanese maps with Tokyo also mentioned and a lamp shade, shaped like a lighthouse lantern. We found it inspirational and had already liked the map inlay at the Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel in London in which we stayed earlier in February 2016.

There was also a Spa Heaven brochure. Treatments start from 45 Euro (Hamam, ca. 50 USD); massages and facials from
65 Euro (ca. 72.25 USD).

On my fiancé’s birthday the treats arrived as requested, including cupcakes, chocolates, jellies, strawberries, Turkish nougat and blueberries. The personalized birthday card was a nice touch.

The bathroom was located near the writing desk, giving the actual living space an interesting shape.

It was fully decked out in marble/stone and had a separate jacuzzi bathtub with nozzles and shower, sink and Malin and Goetz amenities, which we love, plus there was good sized in-mirror TV with a remote and international channels.

The shower was large and had no door. It reminded us of some of the showers we had in other hotel rooms in Asia, it was superbly designed and no water splashed out of the shower either. The water pressure was strong and accurate.

On Level -1 were the Cocktail Bar On The Rocks and Restaurant Down Under, where breakfast was served. The dining room was cosy, but there was always a space available for us during breakfast. It overlooked the harbor and the ships docking in front of the hotel.

There was an extra room for the buffet and people flow was managed well.

Breakfast offered a wide selection of tea or coffee as self-service. At first we had some difficulty figuring out how to get hot water. We asked one of the waitresses, who seemed to have heard the question not for the first time. Actually it was very simple. There is a button in front of the tap you have to press...good to know and thinking about it today which lets us smile.

There was an egg station, where all fresh egg dishes, pancakes, waffles and French Toast were made to order.

Other selections included cold cuts, smoked fish, pasta, rice, sausages, bacon, cheese, cereals, fresh fruits, yogurt and much more, all of high quality as one would expect at such a beautiful hotel.

The omelette and French Toast come highly recommended.

After our two nights/ three days it was already time to check out for our flight to Hamburg, Germany where the Fairmont Vier Jahreszeiten was waiting for us for our next two nights/ three days ahead.

We loved how different the hotel looked like compared to others, that it is travel inspired and that it had the same high standard as Das Stue in terms of service, design and location. Staff was attentive, efficient and friendly. For all those reasons we would stay again at this memorable hotel in our future, when in Rotterdam.

Would we recommend this hotel to a friend? YES! ^
Would we want to stay again at this hotel in our future? YES! ^

Here are our videos we took during our stay at the Mainport, A Member of Design Hotels, Rotterdam, The Netherlands in April 2016:

Here are some of our images we took during our stay at the Mainport, A Member of Design Hotels, Rotterdam, The Netherlands in April 2016:

|| MAINPORT BY INNTEL HOTELS || A MEMBER OF DESIGN HOTELS || ROTTERDAM || THE NETHERLANDS || OUR STAY IN APRIL 2016 INCL. HARBOUR ROOM : FAR EAST THEME, BREAKFAST, IN-ROOM DINNER, EXTERIOR & INTERIOR || A BEAUTIFUL HOTEL || HIGHLY RECOMMENDED || by UggBoy UggGirl, on Flickr

Thank you and safe travels.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:16 am

2 nights last week. Chose this because it's close to the gallery hosting an exhibition I wanted to see and also because it's right on the water.
Nice hotel with some very attractive design features. They seemed up to speed with SPG and were welcoming in that regard ( albeit to the extent of their participation).
Platinum breakfast is not a benefit ( 500 points is the default) but breakfast is offered at a discounted rate of € 20 via a pre-arrival email, probably to all guests.I took it and it was worth it: not a huge range but extremely high quality.
Pleasant place and I shall return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.