FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
Old May 12, 2017, 11:07 am
raadhey

Reasonable ask for ATC delay

Hi,

I have another post on The Chase UR thread regarding this for a "Trip Delay" claim I will be filing.

My wife an I flew UA on 27 Apr, PHX to LAX. We have a separate booking through CostcoTravel from LAX to PPT that night (1159PM). My scheduled 6:10PM UA departed only at ~9:20PM.
While it was a harrowing experience and my wife wasn't helping (she was just feeling bad and it was getting worse because this was our honeymoon trip! and she wanted it to be perfect). We tried getting another flight but UA doesnt fly anywhere else close to LAX we were told. And by the time we found alternatives, we wouldn't have time to make it to another terminal to get another airline like AA get to LongBeach and drive to LAX. We decided to just take our chances with this flight and it kept getting more delayed. Finally we landed ~11:10 PM.

The next airline called and was willing to accept our luggage from UA later if we made it to the gate in time. But the UA reps refused. They were even unwilling to announce that we had a connecting international and request other pax to let us get off first. (I have see AA and SW do this many times before) Long story short, we were delayed, missed our next flight, had to stay that night in LAX, next night in PPT and only then get to our final destination.

I will be filing a trip delay claim with Chase (Hoping I can get some charges reimbursed).

I wanted to know what is a reasonable ask from UA. I've read if you file a claim with CSR, you shouldn't be getting any other monetary benefit from the airline. So, I am guessing miles. My wife has some miles after 1/2 international flights, so this could add up. No intention to squeeze the airline but, I would like to get a feel for what is reasonable to ask for.

PS: I got a letter from UA stating reason for delay for "Air traffic flow - weather".

TIA!