FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sigh - How much is the W Upgrade Lottery worth?
Old May 11, 2017, 6:20 pm
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by prometa
I'm curious how often the 1Ks and GSes here pay for a W-class or above fare or (GG BUYUP) when an S-class or lower economy fare is available for the sole purpose of applying a GPU on an international leg.

How often do you do it? How much does it normally cost? And what's been your clearance rate?
I do not know the exact answer to your question, but ever since this was a requirement to use a GPU and I want to use a GPU I do book "W" or above. However, I now compare the cost between the GPU eligible and non-eligible fares and if it is more than $550 I book the lower fare and use the miles + copay. I have many miles so not concerned with using them - it is all about the money for me.

My change in buying pattern was due to the lottery not working and prefer to keep the money in my pocket by getting the refund. (Contrast to Air New Zealand that allows you to bid $$ for the upgrade but only charges if the bid is successful and retickets to the higher fare which works well for my PQM balance).
​​​​​

​​​