FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020
Old May 11, 2017, 6:59 am
ridefar

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
On points transfer, from the FAQ:

Q: Will I be able to transfer my Aeroplan Miles into the new Air Canada program?

A: No. Aeroplan Miles earned up to June 2020 stay in the Aeroplan program and may be redeemed for Aeroplan Rewards. That said, Air Canada expects to continue making Air Canada flights available for Aeroplan redemption. Star Alliance partner rewards will only be available through the new Air Canada program.

My issue is that there is simply no way that I won't end up stranding 1m+ points. I have 1.5m now, even if I burn all those in the next 2-3 years, I will earn another 1-2m in the next 3 years. Assuming flying patters remain the same, any SE is going to strand at least 3 or 4 hundred thousands points (the amount they will earn in 2019). Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Not to mention that without AC I would imagine AE has a moderate chance of flat out going bankrupt, rendering all points worthless.

Either AC really truly doesn't care at all about how this impacts AE/AC/Altitude members, it is a ploy to drive AE into a market value of $1 so they can be bought cheaply, or they just didn't think this through...