FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]
Old May 10, 2017, 11:17 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Anyways...

Back to the blog. It looks like my assumption was correct. Daniel has now taken at least one flight and three hotel stays for free in what seems to be the past month. He states none of what he posted are reviews. I believe that's already been debunked.

Condor invited me to join this flight to promote their new route from Frankfurt to New Orleans. While I didn’t pay for this ticket, my primary reason for taking the flight was to make people aware of the new route, not to promote their business class product. All opinions expressed below about the onboard experience are my own.

Whaaaaat? They invited you for a free international flight in business class in order to promote their product. He states that he took the free ticket in order to make people aware of the new route and "not to promote their product". Yet gives his opinion and marks it as "review" in the url. How is that not a review?

Hmmm... how does a reader know when a blogger is giving a biased review in return for payment from a company? Well I'd say taking payment in a free ticket worth $3,000+ would be step one (actually looks like it would have been $6,000+ as Daniel flew with a guest that he did not disclose). Step two would be writing things like this:

When I first laid down I was a little startled at how steep the angle felt, though it clearly wasn’t much of an issue since I feel asleep within minutes. Despite a small-looking footwell, my legs could move freely and the space didn’t really restrict me.

In his video: This could be the most useful and cool amenity kit I've ever received.
Hey, it's not promoting it because...ummm...because...he said so? Weird. There isn't anything inherently wrong per se with a comp'ed review, though one tends to view them a bit skeptically...so why go to such contortions to try and claim "this hotel review isn't a hotel review but a tour"..."I just wanted you to be aware of the route", etc? It's BS on its face so why bother pretending? Whole thing is so silly.

Last edited by 84fiero; May 10, 2017 at 11:24 am