FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]
Old May 10, 2017, 9:00 am
lonelycrowd

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
I've now seen the full email and it also requested the 15 years of travel, work, and residence...

Perhaps this is wishful thinking, but could there be some sort of "forms clearance" process going on through which there would be a formal channel for public comment? I'd imagine a paperwork reduction act comment period on this would be record-setting for Regulations.gov...
Somehow it slipped past me with all the ongoing news surrounding both the "ban" and the general state of the administration, but it looks like for the next eight days this is actually happening on an expedited "emergency" basis. No reasoning is stated for requesting an emergency review rather than the standard 90 days, though it looks like one can comment to OMB about the emergency status in addition to commenting directly to State about the policy merits.

The register notice is extremely vague and doesn't tell us whether individuals currently in administrative processing may be subject to this - all we get is an estimate of 65,000 respondents. Regardless of whether my brother-in-law ends up being hit by this, I have so many problems with the vagueness of some of the questions as presented (define "travel," "social media," "source of funds," ect...) and the vast logistical difficulties in tracking down some of this information from 15 years ago that I don't know where to start. Maybe they can legitimately estimate that it will only take an hour to write this information out on paper, but I imagine the background research is likely to be a heck of a lot more than one hour for anyone with a significant amount of business travel now that they're broadening the focus to include domestic trips.