FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old May 8, 2017, 12:49 pm
spin88

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by findark
Heh, now I'm curious. If you book an N fare do you get the post-purchase F upgrade offer? Do you get PQD? N fares are 24-hours cancellable, right?
This is where UA differs from Delta, per UA you get no benifits and no status credit for BE flights. per UA:

MileagePlus and Premier member details

If you're a MileagePlus member, you will still earn award miles based on the fare and your MileagePlus status.

However, MileagePlus members, including Premier members, will not earn:

Premier qualifying dollars (PQD)
Premier qualifying miles (PQM)
Premier qualifying segments (PQS)
Lifetime miles
Toward the four-segment minimum

MileagePlus members, including Premier members, will not receive:

Complimentary Economy Plus seating
Paid upgrades
Mileage upgrades
Complimentary Premier Upgrades
Regional Premier Upgrades
Global Premier Upgrades

Originally Posted by findark
I'm really curious how this is going to go over in the SFO/LAX market. It's a pretty unique market where there is a lot of O&D traffic compared to other short-ish hops, and a lot of competition has kept fares low. I've watched the "base sale price" of a ticket tick up from $39 to $49 to $59 over the years (and still remember when it was $9 on WN).

The $15 fare increase effected by BE is actually very large for the market, and so I am curious to see whether it ends up being sustainable even against WN.
I would expect this to really hurt them on the west coast routes. United is now $15+/each way more expensive than the competition (AS/VX, DL, AA, WN) and also is rubbing people's face in it.

While Delta may match UA head to head (by opening up high buckets to BE) - although I doubt it - no way they do so on the West Coast where they also have to consider OALs, in particular AS/VX. United is out on its own "knife our elites" limb...