FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old May 5, 2017, 7:09 pm
televisor

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by jsloan
Either request a status match, if I felt another airline and alliance were going to be a good match, or grit my teeth and pay it. For my $15, I get E+ and a chance at an upgrade. I can't get that for $15 on another airline.

UA is consistently the best value for me personally because I value the things that their status gets me -- specifically, E+. I'm not happy with the direction of the program, and I certainly don't care for fare increases (whether management is up-front about them or not). But, at this price point, they remain a value. How much longer I'll be able to say that, I don't know.

Anyway, this is a short-term argument. This is a copycat industry. Either AA and DL will copy this structure or UA will drop it. I like AS -- and maybe they'll remain a holdout -- but they're just not that useful for me in AUS.
People with status might pay, or they might get annoyed that they're being essentially short-changed, and go the status match route (I've already earned status, now I have to pay an extra fee to make use of my status?). I'm certainly considering the status match, except I'm just about to stop flying a lot so the whole status argument goes away (except I've already earned *G for 2018, so I might stick with *A to make use of the lounge access when I take an occasional flight).

Non-status passengers (who are needed to fill these planes) are going to look elsewhere if the prices are otherwise the same. Obviously they can't go elsewhere on less competitive routes, but UA decided to introduce this on routes with competition from 3.5 carriers (I'm counting AS+VX as 1.5), I just don't see how there's any logic in that if they're not undercutting other carriers prices (and evidence suggests UA is either the same price, or more expensive). Yes, AA and DL might follow, but UA are doing this on routes where AS, VX and WN are all competitors (in some cases with better schedules).