FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overbooked first class, need advice
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2017, 7:38 am
PV_Premier
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
This flight is perpetually full for a few reasons -- 1) it's high demand out of SMF, and 2) it's a through flight from SEA which is the earliest possible OGG arrival daily for passengers originating in SEA.

I would ask for OGG-OAK in F and for an airline ops voucher to cover a rental car one way from OAK to SMF. They should be willing to do this. They've covered hotels for me in SEA before when they've nerfed my reservations with schedule changes or abbreviated connections. (They should also give you a small AS voucher for the inconvenience of changing arrival airports and for their incompetence in overbooking - $100 for each of the two ticketed passengers is about right. They won't volunteer this, you'll have to ask for it.)

There are also other possible AS routings such as OGG-PDX-SMF, OGG-SEA-SMF which they already told you, and OGG-SAN-SMF.

You can ask them for HA as flytoeat mentions above, but they probably won't give it to you. AS is really terrible about creating a problem then refusing to use another airline to bail themselves out.

Finally, if you have miles in other programs such as UA, you could consider asking for a refund from AS for the return segment and booking a ticket with miles. UA usually has business class availability from OGG to the mainland at the last minute. Typically within 3-5 days of the departure. AA often also has short-notice F from OGG to SMF or OAK for under $600...which is probably about the same as you paid for the one way nonstop (and maybe even less).

Since it doesn't sound like you are too interested in collecting AS miles, if they can't keep you on the OGG-SMF nonstop or get you on another nonstop to OAK, you probably are going to be best off asking them to cancel off the return ticket and buying it on another carrier if the cost is at all aligned, which my guess is that it will be. If they're gonna downgrade you, you're entitled to a full refund anyways.

Last edited by PV_Premier; May 5, 2017 at 8:19 am