FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How would you get to SYD/MEL?
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2017, 8:56 am
bergamini

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
How would you get to SYD/MEL?

Every few years I go to Australia to get some beach time, climb the bridge in Sydney and then settle in for a week of Aussie Open tennis in Melbourne. Just got the green light to take 2+ weeks off work to do it next year.

I did it in '04 and for 100K World Perks miles I did MSN>EWR>KUL>DXB>SYD on the outbound and MEL>KUL>LAX>MSP>MSN on the return, obviously mostly with MH. It was in true first on 3-class 747/777 planes, although just a recliner seat. Dom Perignon, satay, the cabins almost all to myself. It was amazing!

I did it in '10 for 150K World Perks doing MSN<>MSP<>LAX<>SYD in NW First/Delta Business. It was fine, good but not great.

Well, I priced it out now and my preferred dates are 750K Sky Miles in D1 with some less appealing dates being 575K. Gulp. I now get devaluation.

I had a friend who went last year and I think did a miles routing in J on China Eastern and then a paid ticket from there to Oz, but the long TPAC portions were up front. That's OK to me but I have no interest in doing much on an urban layover.

Instead, I found SEA/LAX<>DPS (Bali) on a myriad of routings involving Delta, China Eastern and KE for 160K in D1. I would then do a multi-night stay over there and skip Gold Coast/Beaches in Australia and then just do Sydney and Melbourne. I could then buy a J ticket for $1900 on Virgin Australia for a DPS<>SYD direct flight and earn 9K MQM's. So that's what I'm leaning towards.

Do others have experience on these route and ways to get to Australia up front without spending 750K Sky Miles?

Let's say I have a $2K budget and want a premium cabin (better than C+, but a true Premium Economy would be OK), with a side goal of maybe earning some MQM's. Are these my best options, and which is best? Or is there something better out there for me?

1. LAX/SEA<>DSP in Biz for 160K, multi-night beach trip stopover and then Virgin Australia to Sydney in J for $1900 USD and 9K MQM
2. Buy a LAX<>SYD trip in coach and know that I'm going to be Diamond and pray that my GUC clears each way? Also $1900 but then 20K+ MQM but no stop in Bali. I could live in C+ or an Exit Row but my fear is having a bad neighbor for 15 hours.
3. China Eastern Premium Economy for $1900 at 75% MQM so I'm guessing with the routing it will be close to 20K MQM as well

I'm pretty flexible but given the 160K award tickets now to Bali, that's the route towards which I'm leaning. Any feedback appreciated.

Last edited by bergamini; May 3, 2017 at 9:19 am