FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)
Old May 2, 2017, 10:04 pm
dsquared37
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by yetanotherjanet
I'm sure the comment I'm about to make must have been made many many times on FT. But this is the No Blame thread, right?

When I see a rate like this (and I think it's shameful, myself), I do divide it into the necessary stays to get the minimum cost (in this case 3 stays), or whatever number seems worth the trouble (in this case just 2 stays...putting the 434s and the 464s together and paying 464 for each of them).

I say "trouble" because it does cause a certain amount of trouble. Very often a hotel will make us come down and get new cards because they reset the lock...and the timing of this can be finicky, generally around check-out time.

Sometimes you have to actually check out and check back in again, and once in a while they've actually insisted that our old room is booked for the next night and that we have to move to a new room (this after I carefully booked the same kind of room for each stay).

Yes, I do see less of these problems nowadays if I call the hotel (or even the 800 number) and ask that the reservations be "linked." But they do still happen.

By the way, I haven't been talking specifically about Hyatt here. On the other hand, not all hotel chains pull the kind of pricing that started this discussion. Plenty of them show the actual price for each night.
I almost always book hotels in series of 1 night stays for cancellation reasons and have never encountered anything you're talking about here.