FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hello - We're offloading you as you are not here!
Old May 1, 2017, 8:40 pm
davistev

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Unhappy Hello - We're offloading you as you are not here!

Ah what a morning.

I thought I would share my morning and hopefully remind people just how important it is nowadays to recheck flight times and not just "e-check in mobile blot thingies".

I was driving to Adelaide airport to catch my business class flight on Malaysia Airlines to Kuala Lumpur connecting to Hong Kong. I have my original itinerary in hand for my 10:40AM flight. I have the blot scanner thingy on my mobile so I can avoid check-in and was looking forward to getting some work done at the front of the bus today.

Then - "Private number" appears on my mobile - It is Malaysia Airlines ground staff lady who asked when I was coming. I said - "oh about - 30 minutes". The gate agent replied "Well - sorry to tell you but you are being offloaded as you failed to board for the 8:10 AM flight". I was shocked as I must have screwed up but I swear it was 10:40 AM departure. There was not much I can do except pull over and check my paperwork and emails.Yep - my paper stuff all says 10:40 AM. Then, I found an email from MH stating a change due to operational requirements and that they would send me a new email with new times forthwith. In my mind, I probably just said to myself "fine - I will update when I get the new times" and that was the end of it. I searched everywhere for this email - but no sign of new times.

I am now a 'No Show". A quick call to MH confirms that I would have more luck pounding sand in the Indian Ocean than getting a new date assigned.

Lesson learned - never trust technology. Always double check the old fashioned way of looking at departure times on airline website. Do not trust technology - READ READ READ. Not scan scan scan.

Well - I will be learning my lesson the hard way with a middle seat in economy on Cathay Horrific overnight to Hong Kong as I am 6ft 3" tall. Ouch! And a thousand dollars poorer - eek!

Some days are just better than others.