Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Hello - We're offloading you as you are not here!

Hello - We're offloading you as you are not here!

Old May 1, 2017, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Unhappy Hello - We're offloading you as you are not here!

Ah what a morning.

I thought I would share my morning and hopefully remind people just how important it is nowadays to recheck flight times and not just "e-check in mobile blot thingies".

I was driving to Adelaide airport to catch my business class flight on Malaysia Airlines to Kuala Lumpur connecting to Hong Kong. I have my original itinerary in hand for my 10:40AM flight. I have the blot scanner thingy on my mobile so I can avoid check-in and was looking forward to getting some work done at the front of the bus today.

Then - "Private number" appears on my mobile - It is Malaysia Airlines ground staff lady who asked when I was coming. I said - "oh about - 30 minutes". The gate agent replied "Well - sorry to tell you but you are being offloaded as you failed to board for the 8:10 AM flight". I was shocked as I must have screwed up but I swear it was 10:40 AM departure. There was not much I can do except pull over and check my paperwork and emails.Yep - my paper stuff all says 10:40 AM. Then, I found an email from MH stating a change due to operational requirements and that they would send me a new email with new times forthwith. In my mind, I probably just said to myself "fine - I will update when I get the new times" and that was the end of it. I searched everywhere for this email - but no sign of new times.

I am now a 'No Show". A quick call to MH confirms that I would have more luck pounding sand in the Indian Ocean than getting a new date assigned.

Lesson learned - never trust technology. Always double check the old fashioned way of looking at departure times on airline website. Do not trust technology - READ READ READ. Not scan scan scan.

Well - I will be learning my lesson the hard way with a middle seat in economy on Cathay Horrific overnight to Hong Kong as I am 6ft 3" tall. Ouch! And a thousand dollars poorer - eek!

Some days are just better than others.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
With all due respect - at least MALAYSIA AIRLINES staff called you to ask when you're arriving !! Do you think any other airline will even bother?
Old May 1, 2017, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Hi Guy.

Agreed. I am angry at myself - not Malaysia Airlines. I love MH - but today I screwed up over a small oversight.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
So they changed the flight times after you checked in? Or did you just mindlessly click through and accept the mobile BP? A 1040am to 810am change is a pretty big change is this a one-off or a permanent change?

My view - least MH could do it rebook you on a new flight. If anything, I would push for a refund given that it was a material flight time change. Not sure if there is a legal basis for that though lol..
Old May 1, 2017, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

I just noticed that my Mobile Enrich App still shows 10:40AM Departure. Thus - I not crazy after all. I will contact MH as it seems their APP is not updating.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:23 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
They seem to be reshuffling around lots at the moment due to aircraft shortages. Using the 330s on regional routes and even putting in the 380 to Australia.
Old May 2, 2017, 2:23 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Wow that seems to happening with scary regularity, non-notification is really inexcusable and if MH are so concerned why not call the customer to inform of the schedule change rather than a call before boarding!
Old May 2, 2017, 2:38 am
Original Poster

I have sent a screen shot to MH and requested new flight times without penalty. If you can't trust their own ENRICH MH Booking app - then I am at a loss. I felt like a total idiot and certainly the ground agents were not interested in helping me other than the usual "call the 1-800 booking number." I did exactly that and MH informed me of no courtesies will be extended in event of NO SHOW." It was not a NO SHOW. It was an operational schedule change of over 2 hours difference that was not clearly communicated to me and in fact still reads the old time "LIVE" on my app as I am writing this.

During this whole day, I have remained calm amd wondered how I survived flying 1.5 million miles without ever missing a flight due to my stupidity. I said to the Mrs that if screw up the economy Cathay Ticket today , I will chain myself to the jetty and fish for a very very long time and contemplate the danger of getting old in an Online world.

I have requested MH allow me to rebook ne business class tickets without fees and re-pricing.

Anyway - beware of MH APP.

THIS SAID - I LOVE THEIR FLIGHT CREWS AND Business Class service out of Adelaide. Much Much better than the tired old SQ airbus business class. Now - if they would just leep me informed before rather than latter.
Old May 2, 2017, 3:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Hi
I don't think you should feel 100% at fault. The problem with modern travel is airlines depend on emails and electronic communication to pass on important messages to customers.

And from time to time, emails bounce or don't get sent out and we sometimes depend on getting emails to plan ahead and spend our entire day at times in front of lap tops or desktops.

What the airline SHOULD HAVE DONE was after sending the non existent email about your new departure time was to also send you a text message to your mobile phone (they have your number don't they) and called a day or 2 before hand to make sure you were aware of the new flight time.

It's not impossible for them to do. I hope you don't feel you are 100% at fault for this.
Old May 2, 2017, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by davistev
I have sent a screen shot to MH and requested new flight times without penalty. If you can't trust their own ENRICH MH Booking app - then I am at a loss. I felt like a total idiot and certainly the ground agents were not interested in helping me other than the usual "call the 1-800 booking number." I did exactly that and MH informed me of no courtesies will be extended in event of NO SHOW."
It was not a NO SHOW. It was an operational schedule change of over 2 hours difference that was not clearly communicated to me and in fact still reads the old time "LIVE" on my app as I am writing this.
During this whole day, I have remained calm amd wondered how I survived flying 1.5 million miles without ever missing a flight due to my stupidity. I said to the Mrs that if screw up the economy Cathay Ticket today , I will chain myself to the jetty and fish for a very very long time and contemplate the danger of getting old in an Online world.

I have requested MH allow me to rebook ne business class tickets without fees and re-pricing.

Anyway - beware of MH APP.

THIS SAID - I LOVE THEIR FLIGHT CREWS AND Business Class service out of Adelaide. Much Much better than the tired old SQ airbus business class. Now - if they would just leep me informed before rather than latter.

This is where the ground staff (I assume they are aussies...sorry if this sounds like I am picking on them) in australia are just not very flexible. Compared to the ground staff in Malaysia who, sometimes, do see reason and do refer matters to a supervisor who overides the system and solves the problem and keeps the customer happy because it was a genuine screw up by the airline and lesser by the passenger.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:32 am

check the old fashioned way ... website
This made me smile
Old May 2, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
oh dear, sounds a nightmare. sorry to hear OP. hope the Y CP flight is better than expected.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I've heard from friends that MH on occasions didn't manage to relay schedule changes to passengers. IME, they usually send an e-mail and a text to notify you of schedule change.

Having that said, it is amazing that MH called you and asked if you are going to make your flight. I find that MH agents (usually in KUL and around Malaysia) are very flexible if you missed your flights, are late etc. It's just tough luck when you are in a station not manned by MH staff as they usually go by the book.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:42 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by davistev View Post

check the old fashioned way ... website

Boy, wasnt it just yesterday that this new thing called web latest technology??

BTW, relying on SMS/email/app based technology have given rise to such missed flights for many across FT. IN fact, sometimes even airline websites are not updated properly. SO airline website + airport website + some independent app like flight-tracker.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
With all due respect - at least MALAYSIA AIRLINES staff called you to ask when you're arriving !! Do you think any other airline will even bother?
They were likely lack a boatload of passengers ... which might have made them suspicious .
..A quick call to MH confirms that I would have more luck pounding sand in the Indian Ocean than getting a new date assigned..
... because of all the other clients they have stranded.
I just noticed that my Mobile Enrich App still shows 10:40AM Departure. Thus - I not crazy after all. I will contact MH as it seems their APP is not updating.
I know that Oz has the worst customer protection laws in the free world ... adopting EC261 would be a great start to break with that tradition.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.