FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556
Old May 1, 2017, 12:21 am
LX64A332

Programs: BA Gold, AA ExecPlat, TK Elite
Originally Posted by PeyoNYC
Just flew Cairo to JFK via FCO on Alitalia (which can be as low as $1200 return, i bought it for $1,700 24 hours prior to departure -- not formileage, I was just nearby!) and there is norestriction to carrying laptops onboard. It's only on selected airlines, no European airlines on the list.

Tips about connecting in Cairo: it's good to allow ample time because the airport is split in 3 various terminals, some quite distant. Allow time to bbuy visa on arrival too.

But then the problem becomes there is nothing to do in the airport if you get there more than 3 hours before the departure time of your connecting flight. Best option would be not to check in any luggage, get your boarding pass online and head to the lounge. Otherwise it's the most boring thing ever. 30' of free wifi, one mini store, rustic seating.

A nice alternative is to enjoy Cairo for a day or two. I did once stayed in Méridien (which is not that close from the airport). You can get a chauffeured car there from Avis and the guy can take you to the pyramids (one hour drive in traffic nothing crazy). When I did it, I was alone in the entire site. That was surreal, until 5p when locals came visit the site. A great experience indeed.

US customs used to be suspicious too with people arriving from Cairo but it seems over, I just cleared immigration in a minute.

Long story short: laptops ok on European airlines, short connections are not convenient at all, and it's worth a short stay - cheap easy and beautiful.
Enjoy.
The laptop restriction does apply to European airlines as well, mainly TK and BA, but in reality any airline that flies directly from Egypt, and a few other selected countries to the UK.