FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidate Marriott points into one account - use SPG as intermediary?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:14 am
ehallison

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
I want both my and my wife's Marriott points to reside in my account. No easy way of doing this. Or is there? With the SPG merger I thought I might:

1) Link my own Marriott and SPG accounts (no downside or "gotchas" here, right?)

2) Link my wife's Marriott and SPG accounts

3) Wife transfers all her Marriott points into her SPG account

4) Wife transfers all her SPG points into my SPG account

5) I transfer all my SPG points to my Marriott account

With step number 5, would I get a 5K bonus for every 20K of SPG points I transfer to Marriott? Thinking not; otherwise, that would be fabulous--presuming all the earlier transfers are "lossless".

From what I understand, it's still a 3:1 ratio going into SPG, and 1:3 going from SPG back to Marriott. No loss, but perhaps no gain points-wise.
1-2) No gotchas

3-4) For our family, my husband is looking to increase lifetime points in the Marriott program. So we have been doing the opposite of what you propose - transferring my SPG to Marriott, to transfer to his Marriott. Not sure if that's a consideration for you. Right now, that process increases the lifetime points of the transferee in the Marriott program, not sure how it works in SPG because it's not transparent. And who knows how lifetime points will be counted when the programs are finally merged.

5) No, you don't get a bonus for transferring from SPG to Marriott. The 5k bonus is for airline transfers.