FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences 2017
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:43 pm
PremExecSNA

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
IC New York - The Barclay

IC New York - The Barclay

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Somewhat, but not impressed.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked Superior Queen on a corporate rate and upgraded to a Premier King, 10th floor, with a view of the center courtyard and the street. The checkin agent mentioned that it was a three category upgrade. I guess they count the Queen to King as an upgrade category.

How are the rooms?
The rooms are typical small New York hotel rooms. Other than the king bed, it looked like any other standard room in the hotel. Having stayed at the Barclay several times before I was an RA, I remember these small rooms. Frankly, I think they're just creating room types to play the upgrade game. If the room I had was considered an upgrade, I'd hate to see the room I originally booked. I did confirm they were selling Executive Rooms and suites with plenty of availability on the night I stayed.

The renovations look nice, with a bright bathroom and upgraded sink and tiles. The bed was comfortable with nice linens. There was no desk, but a small cafe type table with two chairs by the window. Good thing I didn't have to do any serious business, as the table wouldn't have worked well as a desk.

How is the exec. lounge?
In an otherwise unmemorable stay, the club lounge was a bright spot. There was a warm buffet in the evening with several canapés and a nice cheese and charcuterie selection. There were also some desserts. Prosecco, Red and White wines, along with the usual liquors were on offer. For breakfast, there was scrambled eggs (both regular and egg whites), sausage, waffles and an interesting blueberry bread pudding type offer. They also offered oatmeal, blueberries, blackberries and yogurt. I asked for plain yogurt and they brought out a container of Fage from the back.

The lounge was not crowded or noisy on either visit and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The seating area is comfortable and "clubby."

Did you receive a welcome gift?
No. I was offered the choice of points, Fruit and Water, a minibar credit toward food items, or a 20 dollar drink coupon. I chose the points, which have not yet appeared. I'm not sure if this was a Spire benefit or what.

There was no welcome letter. In fact, when I checked in, the agent never mentioned my RA status or any of the benefits. It felt as though I had walked in cold off the street like any ordinary guest.

How was the minibar?
It had red and white wine, as well as a split of Tattinger Champagne. All the usual liquors and bottled water.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
The club lounge staff were very nice!
The overall renovation looks nice from the lobby and in the rooms.

-Bad
-Poor RA recognition and benefits. I remember the pre-renovation RA treatment, with at least a junior suite or better on every stay. This is one of those stays (maybe under the new rules) which makes me wonder if chasing RA is worth the effort. Little or no RA recognition. In fact, when I checked the reservation when leaving EWR for the hotel at 3:30 PM, there had still been no upgrade to the original booking.
-Points weren't credited as offered.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Unless you can get a bargain basement rate, the benefits are probably not worth the extra cost. As a data point, rooms at other IC properties nearby (i.e HIX, HI, Crowne Plaza) were running 75 to 90 dollars less than the Barclay on the night I stayed.

Would you return?
Unless things change significantly or this stay was a one off, the extra money is not worth it. There are too many other hotel choices in NYC.