FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade question
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:29 pm
dmp1991

Programs: BA Gold, IHG
Originally Posted by KARFA
It isn't the case one way is right and one way is wrong.
Well, I think you're wrong on that point. :-) At best, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Originally Posted by KARFA
...and demand upgrades be available whenever you travel then probably best you look to travel with other airlines.
Ignoring the hyperbolic misinterpretation, I'll try one more time...

I'm not talking about a (free) upgrade. I'm stating that paying with Avios is paying for the upgrade. It's literally the same as cash, exchanged at a rate the airline sets. You can see this in two ways. First, by being allowed to spend Avios where you might otherwise pay cash (food, reward tickets, etc.) And second, by looking at the airline's financial reporting. Every airline shows a liability on their balance sheet for accrued FFP benefits (aka Avios for BA.) They literally account for their customers' unspent Avios as a cash liability.

So, if the airline has an empty seat and they'll take cash for it, anyone rational can see they should take Avios for it too.

I'm not saying they should take a pittance of Avios. I'm saying they should take an equivalent amount of Avios as they would charge in cash.

Last edited by dmp1991; Apr 27, 2017 at 5:41 pm