Search

Upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Upgrade question

I realize that all airlines have been very stingy with upgrades--
We flew back LHR-ORD on 4/26 on the 747. I had confirmed business upgrades
from PE on the outbound but could not clear the return. I called until the last day but no Avios upgrades. The business class section of the flight [at least the bottom level] was almost empty. Is there a special phone number, handshake, to get them to clear an almost empty flight which they know will not sell out?
Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
No there is not, and there is no reason to expect BA to open award seats on empty flights.

If there was certainty that BA would open aware space close to departure on empty flights, then passengers who would buy business class fares may instead buy WT+ in the knowledge they could usually upgrade.

If you want to travel in J, then the best way is to pay for it upfront.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
When you saw the bottom section was empty was this when you flew or by looking at the seat map?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See also these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ard-space.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-avios.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-same-day.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...available.html
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:51 am

Yup, if you know you want business class, book business class.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Ah, the perennial US v Europe upgrade policy difference. I'm tempted to wade in but will resist
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by JerseyJoe
Is there a special phone number, handshake, to get them to clear an almost empty flight which they know will not sell out?
Nope. BA would rather protect the product (and the sanctity of actual J tickets) rather than open up endless award space.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:43 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I'm surprised that BA don't want to make more money and offer bidding upgrades to sell out the cabin and empty seats.

After all we keep saying they are penny pinching, so filling up the J cabin with people who bid on an upgrade is almost something I thought they would do.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
I'm surprised that BA don't want to make more money and offer bidding upgrades to sell out the cabin and empty seats.

After all we keep saying they are penny pinching, so filling up the J cabin with people who bid on an upgrade is almost something I thought they would do.
See nux's post above. If you knew UuAs were pretty much always available then you would book WTP and it isn't clear BA would actually make more.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's about protecting future revenue.

If they went to the US model of upgrades, it would create a strong incentive for people like me (20+ paid CW sectors a year) to play the odds on getting a bump and book PE instead...

The Net Present Value of the few pounds they receive today from an upgrader is less than the several hundred pounds I will spend in 3 months time.

Business case doesn't stack up hence no dice...
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Indeed, during a rare CSM greeting yesterday (and the very welcome gift of a CW size water), he apologized for not being able to improve my seating situation. I had paid for WTP and was in WTP, so no apology necessary.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Why did he apologies, I would never do that as it makes it seem that if we had a choice we would upgrade?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JerseyJoe
Is there a special phone number, handshake, to get them to clear an almost empty flight which they know will not sell out?
Nothing special about the phone number: it's 1-800-AIRWAYS. You simply phone up, tell them which flight you're on, and pay the change fee and fare difference to get one of the many business class seats still available.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There was a similar thread on the DL board not that long ago asking why there were empty seats in D1 on a TATL flight when there were mega diamonds and plutonium elites 'suffering' in economy.

Same answers as here given so it's not just BA not giving freebies.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Apr 26, 2017 at 1:37 pm
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Why did he apologies, I would never do that as it makes it seem that if we had a choice we would upgrade?
I agree. But I took it as a rhetorical pleasantry. Anyway, I was glad of the water, something I had not received in this manner before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.