FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA offloads couple at Portuguese military base over business class row [LGW-KIN]
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:48 am
ahmetdouas

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by chazman189
Daily Mail has more info - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-upgrade.html

The man kicked off a British Airways flight for 'demanding an upgrade' was a cancer and diabetes sufferer who claimed he wanted stretch his legs in first class, MailOnline has learned.
Kwame Bantu, 65, was an hour into the 14 hour flight to visit family in Jamaica when he began to feel dizzy and saw his leg swelling.

He then tried to move into first class, where he says he was 'ambushed' by six members of staff who tied him up by his hands and feet before dragging him back to his seat in economy class.
'I was just trying to get some room to stretch my leg,' he told MailOnline. 'But nobody was helping me. They refused to listen about my medical illness and what I was going through. I was treated like a slave.'

Fellow passenger Joy Stoney, a businesswoman from Yorkshire, was thrown off the flight alongside the retired Jamaican man and abandoned on the Portuguese island of Terceira after trying to help him.
Ms Stoney, who was wrongly reported as being Mr Bantu's partner, told MailOnline how stewards told him to 'defecate in his seat' when he told them he needed the toilet.

Have to say, not looking great for BA...
Yes but all this for going for a walk to first class?

I mean I went for many walks on the plane and the purser told me that he does not mind me walking around the cabin from Y to W and J, as long as I don't walk to F = ))

Still does not add up. Perhaps when they told him to go back to his seat he said no and became aggressive so they restrained him. Obviously the Captain would not have seen this first hand so probably just went along with whatever the cabin crew told him.

I think this is all slightly exaggerated. Perhaps when he was handcuffed the other passengers on the plane got upset so the Captain decided to divert? I mean once he was restrained, this old man clearly posed no danger to the flight!